Chapter 30

"Are you nervous?" Severus questioned as he noticed Ana fidgeting.

Ana looked up at Severus, narrowing her eyes.

"Why would I be nervous?"

Severus walked closer to his beloved and sat by her side. His hand gently grabbed Ana's and pulled her into him, embracing her as they watched the calm landscape in front of them. He swore he could never grow tired of those quiet moments, of that breathtaking view over the river.

He knew Ana was nervous about her parents meeting the man she wailed about every night while she was hiding at their house. She told him how she encountered them, how the first contact was after so many years of absence. It was heartbreaking how, even though they mistreated her oftentimes during her younger years, she craved to be aware of their wellbeing. Severus understood the grief and sorrow the couple must have felt towards the baby they were forced to take care of and raise in exchange for their legitimate son's life. They resented Ana, even though they knew very well she had no fault in the matter. Nevertheless, there was a part of him that felt hatred towards Ana's foster parents, for the pain they had caused her. Yet he was also grateful because she found peace with them, at last, and they gave her the courage to return to him.

Ana still had deep wounds caused by the truth about her heritage. She was, indeed, at peace with what happened to her and her family, but the scar it left was still present. However, at that heavy moment, at such defining moment in her life,  she needed to have everyone by her side and the thing she wanted the most was to introduce the love of her life to the people that raised her for 18 years.

Ana bought a cell phone and she contacted her parents. It was a hard conversation because she explained what was happening to her. No details of the cause of her illness were shared, but as soon as they realized the gravity of Ana's condition, her foster parents flew back to London, to be by her side. As a family.

That night they were meeting Severus and Ana at their home.

As the scheduled time was approaching, the sky was turning slightly grey and it was threatening to rain. The weather was mirroring Ana's health, and it was ironic to her.

The quiet cynical chuckle that died in Ana's throat was perceived by Severus.

"What are you thinking?" Severus asked, looking down at Ana who was resting her head on his lap.

"You don't wanna know," she muttered.

The raven-haired man gently tucked a strand of hair behind Ana's ears. The dark roots were starting to be noticeable, he thought to himself. She looked beautiful blonde or brunette, but he was enjoying the new look of his beloved. A sad smile appeared on his face as he admired Ana's attempt to avoid her eyes from watering.

She continued focusing on the landscape, watching the sky, and getting lost in her own thoughts.

"Hey, come back to me," he whispered, smiling again when she looked up at him. "Don't think about what's coming, just be here, with me."

"How can I do that? It's like someone cursed us -- it's as if the universe conspires against us, to keep us apart. We win, then we have a short period of time of happiness, and, when I think nothing can be worse, life shows us it can... I'm tired, Severus," she confessed. "All I wanted was to be with you. To make you happy, and now I'm going to d --"

"Quiet."

Severus' gaze turned cold. 

"Stop saying those things. Do you have no faith in me?! Ana Alba?"

"It's not about faith," she replied, getting up to a sitting position.

"Yes, it is. Have faith in me, Ana. I... I can't give you or myself false hopes, but..."