Chapter 10

It started with trivial things like opening the door for Ana. 

Bringing her coffee every morning, and overlooking Alba.

Buying her small gifts, like a new quill or a new notebook.

And then he started talking about being lonely and missing a woman by his side, which ended up with Ana talking about Alba being a nice and single girl. Johnny would grimace and chuckle, and once even had the courage to say that Ana was more his type than Alba.

It did seem innocent at first, but anyone who knew the real Johnny, knew something was different and Ana wasn't enjoying this change. All that distorted behavior was becoming unbearable. It happened every day for weeks until it escalated into something else. Afraid of what might happen to Johnny if she told Severus, Ana simply tried to avoid Johnny whenever she could, deciding to work on her private laboratory at Hogwarts most of the days. 

Severus was slightly suspicious about the reason for her presence in the school, mostly because Ana seemed to always have her thoughts far away and was jumpier than ever. 

The line between friendship, innocent flirting, and harassment was thin. 

What's innocent and seductive to a person might be utterly inappropriate to someone else. A kind and genuine smile could be perceived as wicked and filled with second intentions. If from the right person, it might make you feel good, but if from the wrong person or at the wrong moment, a message filled with innuendos becomes scary, and an unwanted touch can make you feel ashamed and uncomfortable in your own skin.

At first, he called her doll whenever he handed her coffee: "Here ya go, doll. Is this too hot for you?"

But then he made sure to touch her hand for a long period of time when he handed her coffee. When she called him because she needed him to see something she had discovered, he'd place his hand on her back while she talked, and once even tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

Alba, who was watching everything happening, remained quiet as Ana promised she'd take care of the problem if he stepped out of line again, but he'd do it right away, leaving Ana lost, not knowing what to do.

So, for three weeks, Ana worked in her own laboratory, sending owls whenever she needed to pass information to Alba and Johnny.

Whenever she needed to go there, she found a way to either never be alone with Johnny or schedule something with Severus. A diner, lunch, anything.

At the end of one day, Severus had appeared in the lobby and walked to the laboratory, his eyes gleaming at the sight of his beloved Ana completely focused on her work. That was another thing he had loved about her: her dedication. The way she curled her lips when she concentrates on anything. Even when they play chest, in complete silence, Ana curls her lip on one side and furrows her brows. He loved that image. He stood there for five minutes, not daring to talk and divert her focus from the important work she was doing.

However, his eyes also scrutinized the rest of the laboratory and the rest of the workers, and something called his attention: Johnny's gaze directed to Ana.

Severus was used to having men throwing themselves at her. Or eyeing her as if she was the last piece of meat. But Johnny was not doing it. He was not looking at her as if he desired her. He was looking at her as if he wanted to kill her but slowly torture her before. There was a clear maddening gleam behind his eyes, and that small smirk was disconcerting.

"Severus," Alba said as she noticed his presence when she took off her white gown and walked out of the laboratory, intending to go home.

Severus remained stiff as if she didn't talk to him, but Alba was quick to understand where his gaze was locked. She looked at Johnny and a chill ran down her spine. Then, she looked at Severus, who was, now, looking at her. She had the same grave look as he did and both of them knew something was wrong but did not say a word. Eventually, as Alba said goodbye to everyone in the building, Ana raised her head at the door and her smile appeared on her lips.