Chapter 39

Luckily, through the advancing years, the magical community had open up to some of Muggle's costumes, like medicines techniques, devices like cell phones, and, finally, hospital technology. They had adapted most of those evolutions, obviously, by adding something more magical to them, but at least they had decided to abandon the obsolete processes, as using letters and owls to talk to someone.

Ana was captivated by all the enhanced instruments and machines they were using at St. Mungus and if she wasn't feeling so weak, she'd be cruising through the hallways exploring.

For the next hours of the day, Ana received dozens of visitors. From her uncle Aberforth to Mr. Filch, the caretaker, who since always had a soft spot for Ana. Ana thought it was cute, considering he brought her a teddy bear, but Severus (obviously) didn't find it funny at all.

The best part of her day was between visits' breaks when she could grab her husband and kissing in an unchaste way.

"Finally, I can call you husband," Ana told him, pulling him to the bed by deepening the kiss and grabbing his collar.

"Mrs. Snape," he affectionately called her, not resisting the instinctive urge to carefully lay on top of her.

Only if they weren't in the hospital. Or if they could lock the door.

"I love you," Ana said.

"And I love you," he told her, fervently kissing her again.

"Can we go home? Our home. I want to be with you alone," Ana asked, bitting Severus' neck.

He let out a deep growl against her hair.

"You're not the only one," he pressed himself more vigorously against Ana's body, who could feel how aroused he was. "But we can't go home, Ana, not yet, at least."

"Killjoy," she pouted.

A gentle knock on the door interrupted the moment and Severus jumped out of the bed to sit peacefully on the chair. He didn't want to be expelled from the hospital for misconduct.

Dr. Daniel entered the room with a bunch of papers in his hands.

"Mrs. and Mr. Snape, congratulations," the doctor said.

"Thank you," Ana said.

"I have the results of your exams --"

"-- Dr. Daniel, uh, can we not know the results today? We got married just a few hours ago and I... I don't want to ruin this day."

"I understand. But you will have to spend the night in the hospital, I'm afraid," the doctor said. "Mr. Snape can spend the night here if you so desire.

"Yes, much appreciated," Severus replied courteously.

"Someone will be bringing you both diner and then we'll leave you alone to rest. Tomorrow morning we will have to talk, ok?"

"Fine by me," Ana replied, side-eyeing Severus when the doctor informed them they'd be left alone after dinner.

***

Severus woke up around 8 A.M. with a nightmare. A dreadful nightmare. It was hard for him to fall asleep, even though he and Ana consummated their marriage the night before and was exhausted. He had locked the door, in case someone decided to intrude, and took Ana as his, delicately and slowly so that she wouldn't feel overwhelmed and more spent than she already was.

For Ana, it was the greatest feeling in the world. Not only because she made love to him as his wife, but perhaps also because of the adrenaline of being in the hospital. Who'd know the Potions' Master would behave like the dunderheads he often criticizes for being reckless and with no regard over the rules.

However, as tired and sated as he was, Severus couldn't fall asleep as fast as his wife. He was overly worried and scared of losing her, so he spent the dawn hours watching her sleep; watching her chest moving up and down slowly but uneven; he listened to her heart and felt the warmth of her skin relieving part of his stress.

When he ultimately closed his eyes, all he could see was his life after losing Ana. He watched her die repeatedly. He'd wake up after a nightmare and fall asleep again, only to start a new and more dreadful nightmare. In all of those dreams he had, he inevitably ended up losing her in the most various ways.

When he woke in the morning, it took him a while to get back to reality. He opened his dark orbs, but he was sure he was still asleep, considering all he could perceive was Ana's screams of excruciating pain. It seemed like someone was hammering on his head and it took him some time to realize that he was awake and those screams were coming from his wife resting by his side.

"ANA!" He turned around to check on the screaming woman and jumped out of the bed to give the doctors some space. "Please, do something!"

Ana's agonized screams echoed through the corridors. They traveled through the walls and ceiling of the hospital, continuously and in an increasing tone. She was squirming, grabbing her stomach and her chest, screaming as if she was being skinned alive.

The nurses and healers that entered the room to aid her pulled the blankets down and gasped when they noticed the blood in the bed. Her once white nightgown was now tinted red and that sight overwhelmed Severus so much that he had to sit down or he would certainly fall to the floor.

"Ana, I'm gonna give you something to put you asleep, ok?" Dr. Daniel had entered the room and grabbed a needle and some liquid. "I know it must be difficult for you, but I desperately need you to try to stay calm."

Ana tried her best to stop while the doctor administrated the sedative, but it was practically impossible for her not to squirm due to the agonizing torment. Never in her entire life, she felt such piercing pain, and, for a moment, all she asked was for someone to prematurely end her suffering.

"What's happening to her? Why is there so much blood?" Severus asked.

"Please, Sir, let us help Ana," a healer said.

Ana's screams were diminishing as the medicine started to take effect.

"Ana," Severus grasped desperately her hand and approached her, opening a space between all the medical staff.

"Sev," she whispered weakly before shutting her eyes, at last.