Chapter 40

"She should be awakened by now," Severus told the healer that examined Ana the following morning.

The bewildering confusion in the woman's face was evident.

"She hasn't awoken yet?"

Severus' eyes hardened at her question.

"No."

After examining Ana's pupils and reflexes, the healer excused herself and marched through the hallways to call for Dr. Daniel who was taking care of another patient. Not 10 minutes later, the woman was back with the doctor and a couple of more nurses.

"Miss Maddinson told me Ana hasn't presented any signs of responsiveness," Dr. Daniel said. "It is odd."

He approached Ana and examined her thoughtfully, furrowing his brows while keeping a deafening silence. After a moment, he inhaled deeply as if he was containing his own emotions and spoke in a serious tone.

"I'll have to transfer her to another ward to do some more exams," he told Severus who sighed and closed his lips in a thin line.

Without any delays, the staff transported Ana away, leaving Severus alone in the room only with the company of his thoughts and the silence of the empty room. Eventually, he had to leave that hell of a room, otherwise, he'd go insane for good.

Half an hour later, Minerva arrived at the hospital.

"Where's Ana? Why are you not with her?" She reluctantly asked when she noticed Severus in the waiting room leaning against a window, staring outside into the void.

He took some time to perceive someone talked to him and when he did, it was like someone had pulled him into reality harshly.

"The doctor took her to make exams. She is unresponsive," he informed her without withdrawing his eyes from the random spot in the landscape.

Minerva stroked Severus' shoulder in a comforting way but didn't dare to say a word.

"I have no idea what I am going to do if she dies," Severus confessed in a low whisper.

The headmistress took some time to process what the potion's master said and, at last, she sighed.

"I certainly cannot imagine the pain you are enduring, but one thing I do know: you are not alone."

Severus looked at her and merely nodded his head.

They spent the rest of the morning in that same spot. Minerva joined him in the never-ending task of looking outside and getting lost his their own thoughts. It seemed like the morning wasn't going to end, but around lunchtime, Dr. Daniel returned and called for Severus and Minerva.

"Ana is back to her room," he said with a solemn face. "Come with me."

Minerva looked at Severus who was bitting the inner side of his cheek, trying to restrain his impatience. He expected to see Ana's gleaming brown eyes looking at him once he reached the room, but her eyes were still closed and her frail body was perfectly still like it had been throughout the whole night.

"Why isn't she awakened?" Minerva asked anxiously, rushing to Ana's side and taking her hand in hers.

"I'm afraid I am not the bear of exactly good news," the doctor said.

Severus's expression hardened even more and the tears started forming in his eyes at the doctor's words.

"We made some tests on her, and it is the consensus of the staff that, unfortunately, Ana is in a comma," he said.

"A comma?!" Severus almost yelled. "Wasn't that supposed to just make her asleep?"

"Yes, but we suspect that, somehow, whatever is in her blood, doubled the dose we gave her, and, consequently, her body shut down to stop it from making more damages," he explained.