Chapter 14

Minerva had arranged a substitute teacher for Potions' classes, while Severus put himself back together. However, she intended to have the Potion's Master back, even if he was back to his old scary posture that terrified any student or staff.

While the members of the old Order of Phoenix searched everywhere for the daughter of the best Hogwarts' headmaster, Severus spent his days hidden in his chambers. As the first month passed, Ana's perfume disappeared, leaving him all alone between the dark walls that were once shiny and filled with happiness. His only companion was the bottles of alcohol pilling up across every division of the chambers.

He slept throughout the day and remained awake at night since he feels the darkness of the night mirrors his soul.

Sometimes, when his mind was too tired and he fell asleep at night, he'd wake up in a jolt as he sensed a presence around him, hovering his sleeping figure, calling his name.

"Severus..." he heard several times.

It was her voice. Ana's.

He snapped his eyes open, but the faint whisper vanished as fast as it was heard, leaving a cold sensation and goosebumps along his spine.

Sometimes, he had panic attacks and the walls of his lair were no longer able to protect and comfort him, so he rushed out of the door, to the open gardens where students gather during the breaks. However, at night, there would be no living soul there. There, the heaviness of what happened finally overtakes Severus. He falls to his knees every time he'd feel the cool night breeze passing through his face, digging his fingers into the soft grass. He'd grip it as hard as he could, wishing, praying, hoping it was all a horrible nightmare that went on for too long.

Whenever he had panic attacks, Ana knew how to calm him. Hell, he stopped having them because he taught him how to fight back.

But his beloved was no longer there to help him. His soulmate was not there to comfort him. His Ana.

Was gone.

The headmistress had caught him several times during those breakdowns, but she had no courage in her to step in. Instead, she'd turn around and walk to her chambers, sniffing and wiping her tears. She had contacted a few people to help her find the girl without saying anything to Severus, but there was no good news.

One night, Minerva could no longer endure his behavior. It was tearing her down and everyone around him that cared for him, even though he was pushing everyone away.

She approached him while he remained knelt on the floor and placed his hand on his shoulder.

Severus looked up and Minverva swiped her finger on his cheeks, wiping away the dirt and the tears. But the look in her eyes, that expression on her face, she understands it too. She's broken too. Beaten, broken, sad. They all were.

"Severus, this has to stop," she said as she felt the intense alcohol smell. He also needed a bath. And a good night of sleep. As a Potion's master, he should have made something to calm down his own nerves. She wondered why he had turned to alcohol instead. "You need to stay strong in case she needs you."

"She doesn't need me!" Severus growled all of a sudden, startling Minerva who took her hand off his shoulder. "She left me. It says everything."

"Something serious is happening Severus, can't you see? Do you really think Ana would leave you because she wanted to?" Minerva was starting to be pissed off about the subject. She knew the girl, and she knew the essence of her good soul. If she left Severus with nothing but a letter that said nothing, it was because she was forced to do it. Something important was happening, she knew it. She feared for her safety now that she was alone, but she never believed her love for Severus had diminished and that it was certainly not the reason for her departure. "She loved you so much... She helped you so much, why don't have faith in her?"