Chapter 13

When Severus came to his senses at night, he felt his mouth and his throat painfully dry.

Water.

He craved water.

His brain was still waking up and slowly processing what happened that morning when his eyes lingered on the fallen bottle for a brief moment.

He pinched his nose and closed his eyes as a wave of acute headache nearly made him lose his ground. Stretching to grab the bottle, Severus widened his eyes all of a sudden.

It was not a nightmare.

Ana was gone and he woke up believing it was just a nightmare. He believed she'd be on his side, sleeping peacefully. Her beautiful long hair would be all messed up, but she'd look angelic nonetheless. He'd study her peaceful breathing and he would smile when she twitches her mouth several times. It meant she was dreaming and she was about to wake up. He'd study her carefree expression oftentimes, wondering how as he able to get a woman like her in his life. She was out of his league, he was well aware of it, but she was there, by his side, every day and every night.

But now, she was gone.

The peace he felt with her was no longer felt.

Severus fought hard to get up, but he was still slightly drunk, dizzy and all he wanted was to throw up.

But he didn't let that stop him from moving to the front porch, sit on the chair and wait for Ana to return. He waited for the whole night and he'd wait for her his whole life if he needed to. But as the hours passed, and she was not there yet, his hopes were fading and his fears were taking over him.

Panicking, Severus took his wand and disapparated when the sun started to reappear on the horizon. He couldn't care less about his appearance or his condition. The thought of Hogwarts came across his mind as his logical reasoning started working and he appeared without thinking twice at the front gate a second later. It was early Sunday morning, the students were asleep, as the staff must be.

He considered all the places Ana might be.

Hogwarts was the first that popped his mind. He went straight to their chambers and froze when he noticed something different. He could feel Ana's perfume in the air and, once again, he called her name.

"Ana!" He called, his head throbbing at the efforts he was doing to stay up. "Ana, please, stop this foolish game."

But there was no answer.

Still, she had been there, he knew it.

He searched the bedroom, but she was not there, nor in the bathroom. But he decided to check on something before leaving: their wardrobe and drawers. And as he scanned the empty drawers that once kept Ana's clothes, he confirmed it: she had fled.

"No..." He muttered. "No, no, no, please don't... Please, don't leave me."

For the first time, tears blurred his vision and the feeling of loss took over him.

"Don't leave me... please," he begged, sobbing and burying his face in his hands.

He wept for hours.

He called for her name. But there was no answer, even when his mind played tricks on him and he could swear on his life he had heard her answer his plead.

Severus knew Ana. Severus knew she'd never do something like that, but he started asking himself if he truly knew her. What was she into?

When he was belatedly able to put himself back together, it was nearly lunchtime. His stomach was empty, growling, but he had no intention on feeding. He was no longer able to eat anything as the only thing he wanted was to vanish.