Chapter 31

When Severus returned to the Currow in the middle of the morning, Ana didn't understand why he was back home just a few hours after leaving for a "long" meeting at the Ministry of Magic, to which he also didn't share with her the motives of such encounter. However, the sparkle behind his dark eyes and the level of anxiety hovering over the raven-haired man wasn't unnoticed by Ana and she could feel herself getting anxious when he told her she would have to go with him. 

She questioned him why he was taking her out with him, considering he insisted that she should stay in bed resting while he and Alba continued their research. Still, Ana followed Severus to Hogwarts, where Alba was waiting for them in Severus' office with a curious look on her face.

"Hey, you," Alba greeted Ana with a tight hug.

"What am I doing here?"

Severus and Alba exchanged looks.

"We kinda have something for you," Alba started.

"We have approval by the Minister of Magic to give you a possible antidote," Severus finished.

Ana opened her mouth in shock, not knowing they had even achieved a solution. Severus stopped sharing his frustrations and achievements with Ana once he realized she had lost her hope and was starting to languish a little bit more every day. He didn't want to give her hope, but he also didn't want to hear her diminishing their everyday wins. Every time she asked how it was going in the lab, Severus would say "the usual" or changed the subject.

Alba opened a small wooden box, showing a vial with pinkish liquid inside. The liquid was moving by itself as if it had life. It was beautiful if you could call it that.

The ill woman had her eyes glued to the small antidote as if she was mesmerized and terrified at the same time.

"I didn't know you had finished it," was all she managed to say.

"You can praise Alba's insomnias," Severus remarked. "She worked overnight for several days."

"Yes, but you came up with the last idea for this experience, I just followed your indications and voilá," Alba took the vial and handed it to Ana. "Your boyfriend is truly a potions' master. I hallow him... Come on, drink it."

Ana took the vial and studied it up close. Then, she looked at Severus who was clearly nervous, even though his serious face was an attempt to cover it up. However, the confidence he radiated to Ana was more than enough for her to bestow a winsome smile that melted him to the core.

"Alright," Ana said, taking a deep breath. "Here goes nothing. Cheers."

Her hand was shaking as she approached the vial to her lips. She could feel a drop of sweat strolling down her forehead, not only because she was nervous but also because she was feeling a little dizzy, which was her normal state in the last couple of days.

Taking a deep breath, Ana drank the liquid until the last drop, delighted by the sweet flavor that seemed sweet as blueberries.

"Done," she said.

Severus freed the air he had trapped in his lungs.

"I should take some blood to analyze," Alba said, turning her back to conceal the tears in her eyes. If she could ask for a wish it was for that antidote to work, nothing more she could ever want more than that.

"Perhaps that it's not necessary," Ana said. "If I don't die, you will know that it worked."

Alba immediately turned around "Ana!"

Severus also let out a gasp, not believing she could make jokes at a time like that. 

"I'm just kidding! Or not," Ana laughed.