Chapter 38

"Ana?"

Severus woke around 7 A.M.

Ana was not in the bedroom and her side of the bed was cold.

He instantly hopped out of the bed and fled the bedroom. The first thing he did was to inspect the bathroom. His eyes surveyed the room, but the only clue that she had indeed been in there was the mysterious box her brother delivered to her the week before.

It was ajar and empty, so he continued without grasping what its content was.

He went downstairs, calling for her name in the kitchen and in the living room. The house was vacant, so he flung open the front door and his eyes immediately caught Ana sleeping on the front porch's lounge.

"Love?" He called her, shaking her shoulder.

Ana didn't even flinch.

"Ana," he called louder and shook her again.

She didn't move, so Severus gripped her shoulders and pulled her up into a sitting position, attempting to wake her up. He shook her again and called her name, but there was no response.

Ana was slightly pale, as she has been for the preceding weeks and her breathing was uneven, but at least she was alive - which was a relief for Severus. However, after several attempts of waking her up, Severus's despair was evident - he was breathing heavily and sobbing, afraid that she might not wake up again.

Without thinking twice, he grabbed his wand and corrected his appearance, since he was using sleeping garments. Then, he picked Ana up in his arms and disapparated to St. Mungus hospital begging for help. At that point and without thinking twice, he sent a Patronus to call Madame Pomfrey, Molly Weasley, and Minerva.

If Severus was the same man he was years ago, he'd never call for anyone. But those people were now his family. He relied on them, especially because of Ana's condition, but mostly because they proved to him that there was more to life than just loneliness. Assuredly, Ana represents a significant part of his life, but he knew he had their support too.

Not long after, Minerva was at the hospital alongside Pomfrey. Molly took some time to appear, but she showed up worried and with swollen red eyes.

Ana was taken by the doctors and healers half an hour before the women showed up and Severus was getting frustrated and worried for not receiving any news.

"I'll ask for her," Pomfrey said to Severus who was evidently hopeless. She disappeared through the Only Authorized People door since she bought her healer I.D.

The time she spent inside felt like hours for Severus, but a few minutes later, Pomfrey was back.

"So?" Minerva asked, rubbing Molly's shoulders since the Weasley woman was crying again.

"She is awakened," she said, frowning when Severus exhaled deeply. "... but she is extremely weak. Severus, they told me you could go to her side."

Severus immediately raised from his chair and walked through the doors.

The corridor seemed interminable and filled with melancholic and despairing emotions. Those pale walls are maddening per si, but having a loved one in such condition as Ana was, it felt like someone was ripping Severus from the inside.

When he reached the door a nurse pointed out, Severus took a deep breath and tried hard to keep his posture. He didn't want to transmit his wretched feelings to Ana, but when he laid his eyes on her vulnerable appearance, there was no strength left in him to contain his emotions inside.

"Sev," Ana murmured. "Come here."

Severus approached Ana, took her hand, and kissed it several times.