Chapter 25

A couple days went by. Both Steve and Claire were now at the Avengers tower, along with the rest of them.

Claire was sitting on a couch in the Avengers tower. Since she had been rescued and they realized what had happened to her, everyone had been giving Claire some space. But, Steve was having a difficult time doing that. Even if she didn't remember him, he missed her so much and all he wanted to do was to comfort his daughter.

Steve walked into the lounge to see Claire on the couch. He knew it wouldn't be wise of him to alert her attention, but he did it anyway. "Claire." He said.

Claire turned to look at him, staring at him for a moment. Without saying anything, she stood up and lunged at her father. She screamed as she attacked him. Steve tried to fight her off.

"Claire, it's me." Steve said. "Your father."

"You left me and never loved me!" Claire said.

"That's not true." Steve said. Claire paid no attention to what Steve said. It was like she hadn't heard him.

"And now, I'm going to kill you!" Claire said. "That's my mission and I will succeed." She continued to attack him. The rest of them rushed to the lounge and they all tried to grab Claire. Claire screamed again. "Let me go!" She said.

"Claire, we're trying to help you." Natasha said.

"Let. Me. Go!" Claire said, fighting against them.

While they had her restrained, Steve quickly took Claire's locket out of his pocket. He opened it and faced it towards Claire, where she would see the picture of him. He thought that since the locket helped her remember who he was when she first woke up, she would remember now.

Claire hesitated and stared at the picture for a moment. "It's ok, Angel." He said. "You're ok."

But then, she screamed and got out of everyone's grasp. She lunged at her father, causing the locket to drop and break. She wrapped her hands around his neck and started to strangle him. "This is your fault!" Claire said. "You let this happen!"

Steve fought Claire off. He was still stronger than her and managed to restrain her. "Get a sedative." He choked out.

Maria rushed out of the room and came back with one. She injected it and Claire went limb in Steve's arm. Tony picked her up and the rest of the them rushed over to Steve. Steve pushed them away as he coughed.

"Are you alright?" Maria asked.

"I'm fine." Steve said, standing up.

"Steve, you should let one of the medical personnel check you out." Natasha said.

"I said I'm fine." Steve said.

"Do you want me to lay her in her room?" Tony asked.

"Yes." Steve answered. They brought Claire to her bedroom and laid her on the bed. "Can someone watch her?" Steve asked. "I need to be alone for a little bit."

"I can." Clint said.

"Thank you, Clint." Steve said before walking off.

He went to the training area to blow off some steam. He had been trying so hard to hide his anger, but he was having difficulty keeping it inside. Steve was hitting a punching bag, when Natasha walked in. He didn't notice her and Natasha didn't say anything as she stood there, watching. Steve finally noticed when he was grabbing another punching bag after breaking the last one.

"What." He said.

"I wanted to make sure you were ok." Natasha said.

"Do you think I'm ok?" Steve asked as he hit the bag.

"I'm sure this can't be easy for you to deal with." Natasha said. "But, it'll be ok."

Steve stopped and glared at Natasha. "For a second time, my daughter was taken by Hydra and had her memory erased, again. And God only knows what other horrible and terrible things they did to her." Steve said. "And there isn't anything I can do to help her. So, don't tell me it'll be ok!"

Natasha stood there, shocked. She had never seen Steve lash out like that.

Steve kinda hung his head and sat on a bench. "I'm sorry." He said. "I shouldn't of yelled at you."

"Steve, you have seen or at least have an idea of all the hell and trauma that Claire has suffered." Natasha said. "You have every right to be angry about that."

"She's right. This is my fault." Steve said. "I let this happen to her. I let her get taken by Hydra and I should have fought harder to keep her from being taken."

"Steve, none of this is your fault." Natasha said. "You had no idea they were going to take her again."

"They took her once." Steve said. "Do you really think I'm that stupid to think they wouldn't do it again."

"They never attempted to take her back when we rescued her." Natasha said. "They had to known that sooner or later that she wasn't in that base anymore and I'm sure they had to know that it was SHIELD that rescued her, but they never attempted to take her back."

Steve didn't say anything. Natasha noticed tears in Steve's eyes. She had never seen Steve like this. "I know she needs me right now, but it's so hard to see her like this." Steve said. "And there isn't anything I can do to help her."

"Actually." Tony interrupted them. "There may be."

"What are you talking about?" Steve asked.

"There may be a way to help Claire." Tony said.

"How?" Natasha asked.

"We could do a procedure that recovers her memories." Tony explained. "She still has those memories of you. She just doesn't remember them."

"You better not be playing with me, Tony." Steve said. "Not when it comes to Claire."

"Of course not." Tony said. "It is experimental, though. And there is a chance it may not work." Steve was quiet.

"Let me think about it." He said. Tony nodded.