Chapter 26

Steve was sitting on the edge of Claire's bed, stroking her hair. There was a knock on the door. He looked up to see Natasha standing in the doorway.

"Mind if I sit with you?" She asked.

"Go ahead." Steve said.

"You ok?" Natasha asked.

"I can't help thinking that all of this is my fault." Steve said. "Including the first time Hydra took her."

"But, you weren't even there." Natasha said.

"Exactly. I wasn't." Steve said. "If I knew that Peggy was pregnant, maybe I could have done something different when I crashed that plane and I would have been there for her."

"Steve, you didn't even know Claire existed until just recently." Natasha said.

"Or if I hadn't been so adamant about joining the war in the first place, I wouldn't of become Captain America. I wouldn't have met Peggy and Claire wouldn't have been born. She wouldn't of inherited the serum from me. And Hydra wouldn't have kidnapped her." Steve continued.

"You can't change the past, Steve." Natasha said.

"I know." Steve said. "As much as I wish I could."

"Have you ever asked Peggy if she knew she was pregnant when you crashed the plane?" Natasha asked.

"No." Steve said.

"Why don't you?" Natasha asked.

"In her condition, I don't want to add any stress by accusing her of something that was so long ago and doesn't matter anymore."

Natasha nodded. "So, what are you going to do?" She asked. "About Claire."

"I don't know." Steve said.

"You know, it could work." Natasha said.

"But, what if it doesn't." Steve said.

"Steve, she already doesn't remember you." Natasha said. "At least this way there's a chance it could work and she'll remember you."

"But, Tony said it was experimental." Steve said.

"You of all people shouldn't be questioning that." Natasha said. "Captain America."

"I know, but this is different." Steve said. "She's my daughter. If anything happened to her, I don't know what I'll do."

"It's Tony." Natasha said. "He wouldn't let anything happen to her. He cares about Claire just as much as the rest of us do."

"You're right." Steve said. "I'm going to go talk to him and Bruce. Can you stay with her?"

"Of course." Natasha said. Steve walked out of Claire's room and headed to the lab.

"Hey Steve." Bruce said.

"Alright." Steve said.

"Alright what?" Tony asked.

"You guys can do the procedure." Steve said.

"Great." Tony asked.

"I do have a question." Steve said.

"What is it?" Bruce asked.

"Are you guys able to do something about those certain words that trigger her to become violent?" Steve asked.

"With what she went through, we don't know if she'll be stable enough for that." Bruce said.

"We may be able to at least fix the one where becomes violent hearing your name." Tony added.

"No. Don't risk it." Steve said. "Just get her memories back." Bruce and Tony nodded and Steve walked out of the lab.