Chapter 41

Claire woke up and got out of bed. She headed downstairs and into the kitchen. Both her parents were there. Her dad making breakfast and her mom making coffee.

"Good morning, Mom. Daddy." Claire greeted.

"Good morning, princess." Steve greeted her with a kiss on side of the head.

"Morning pumpkin." Peggy said.

"What's for breakfast?" Claire asked.

"Blueberry pancakes with scrambled eggs." Steve answered.

"Mmm. My favorite." Claire said. She poured herself some orange juice as Steve set breakfast on the table. They all sat down and started to eat.

"How are you this morning, sweetheart." Peggy asked.

"I'm doing good." Claire answered. "What about you guys?"

"Same here." Steve said.

"So, what shall we do today?" Peggy asked.

"Well, I believe tonight is our dancing night." Steve said.

Every Sunday evening, Steve would take Peggy and Claire out to dinner and then dancing. When she was younger, they used to go on Saturdays. But as Claire got older and started hanging out with friends more, they changed it to Sundays.

"Oh right." Peggy said.

"Well, what shall we do until then?"

"Can we go to the compound?" Claire asked.

"Sure." Steve said. They continued eating.

Once they all finished eating, Claire helped her parents with the dishes.

"Go get dressed while we finish this up and we'll go." Peggy said to Claire.

"Ok." Claire said as she headed up to her room. She changed into some training clothes and walked downstairs.

"Ready to go?" Steve asked.

"Yep." Claire said. The three of them headed out of the house.

A little bit later, they were at the S.H.I.E.L.D compound. The past few years, Claire had been training with her parents, so she could be an agent. She wanted to be like her father and do what he does. She had worked on her strength and now she was working on her speed. She just did 13 miles in 30 minutes and beat her father by a couple seconds.

"Great job, honey." Peggy said.

"Thanks Mom." Claire said. She looked at Steve. "Can't keep up with me anymore, can you old man." Claire teased her father.

"You got lucky." Steve said.

"No. You just can't keep up with me anymore." Claire said.

"Yeah. Yeah." Steve said as he picked Claire up. "You may be faster than me, but I'm still stronger than you."

"Put me down." Claire said.

"I don't think so." Steve said, chuckling. "Please." Claire said.

"What's the magic word?" Steve said.

Claire smiled. "Star spangled man with a plan." She said.

"Take that back." Steve said.

"No." Claire said, giggling. Steve started tickling Claire. Claire squealed.

"Take it back and I'll think about putting you down." Steve said.

"Never." Claire said. Steve continued to tickle Claire. "Daddy, please stop." Claire begged.

"Take back what you said and I'll stop." Steve said.

"Ok." Claire said, out of breath. "I take it back." Steve set Claire down.

Claire took a moment to catch her breath. She looked at her parents. "So, I've been training since I was 13 and I turned 18 a few weeks ago." Claire said. "So, can I please become a S.H.I.E.L.D agent?" Peggy and Steve looked at each other.

"Alright." Peggy said.

"Thank you." Claire said.

"Come on." Peggy said. "I think Howard has some stuff for you." They started to head to the lab.

"I'm still really not sure about this." Steve said to Peggy.

"Steve, we agreed that we would allow her to do this once she turned 18." Peggy said.

"I don't think she's ready." Steve said.

"Steve, we've been training with her all these years." Peggy said. "She's ready."

"I just don't want her to get hurt." Steve said.

"Stop being so overprotective." Peggy said. "She's not a little girl anymore." "

You're right." Steve said.

"Hi uncle Howard." Claire said, walking into the lab. Peggy and Steve behind her.

"Hey kiddo." Howard said.

"Mom said you had some stuff for me." Claire said.

"Yes." Howard said. He showed Claire a bunch of stuff he had for her.

Later that night, Claire and her parents were at a club. Enjoying dancing together.

Claire woke up in the med bay of the Avengers Tower. She noticed her dad in a chair, next to the bed. "Dad." She said.

"Hey." Steve said.

"What happened?" Claire asked.

"You got shot and needed surgery." Steve explained. "But, you're ok now." Claire nodded. "How are you feeling?" Steve asked.

"My head is pounding." Claire replied.

"That could be from using your powers in Sokovia." Steve said. Claire nodded again. "What's wrong?" Steve asked.

"Nothing." Claire said.

"Then, why are you crying?" Steve asked.

"I had a dream while I was unconscious." Claire answered.

"What was it about?" Steve asked.

"It was of you, Mom, and I." Claire explained. "You never crashed the plane and the three of us were a family." She started crying more.

"Oh Claire." Steve said, stroking his daughter's hair. "I know how much you wanted the three of us to be family and you have no idea how much I wish I could give that to you."

"I understand." Claire said.

"I love you so much, Angel." Steve said, kissing her on the forehead.

"I love you too, Daddy." Claire said.

"Why don't you try to rest some more." Steve said. Claire nodded and went back to sleep.