Chapter 15

Claire woke up and looked around. Her head was pounding. She heard beeping and saw that she was in a hospital room. She guessed that she was in the medical wing of the SHIELD building. She looked to her right and saw her dad, next to her bed, sleeping in a chair. "Dad." She said.

Steve stirred and woke up. He saw that Claire was awake. "Hey baby." He said.

"What happened?" Claire asked.

"You were fighting the Chitauri soldiers." Steve explained. "It looked like you were getting tired and one of them knocked you out."

"How long was I out?" Claire asked.

"The rest of the day yesterday and all night." Steve answered.

"What happened with the battle?" Claire asked.

"We stopped Loki." Steve replied. "He and Thor went back to Asgard with the Tesseract."

Claire looked down and saw that all the dirt and blood was gone. She also saw that she wearing different clothes. They must have cleaned her up while she was out. "Is everyone else ok?" Claire asked.

"They're fine." Steve said. "They're all worried about you." Claire nodded, again. "Thank god you're ok." Steve said. "I wouldn't forgive myself if you hadn't woken up."

"I'm ok, Dad." Claire said. "I'm stronger than you think."

"This is why I didn't want you getting involved getting involved." Steve said. "I didn't want you getting hurt. And that's what happened."

"Before that happened, I was doing fine." Claire said. "I can handle myself."

"I know you can. I saw that yesterday." Steve said. "I'm proud of you. And so is your mother."

"Did you talk to her?" Claire asked.

"I talked to her on phone while you were unconscious." Steve said.

"Can we go see her?" Claire asked.

"Sure." Steve said. Claire sat up and tried to get out bed, but Steve stopped her. "Claire, stop. Hold on." Steve said. "You're still pretty worn out from what happened."

"I'm ok." Claire said.

"At least let the doctors check you out and clear you." Steve said.

"Fine." Claire said.

A little bit later, Claire was released. She and Steve headed towards the front of the building. Natasha, Clint, and Tony. "Hey Claire." They said. "Glad to see you're awake."

"You guys waited for me to wake up?" Claire asked.

"We were worried about you." Natasha said.

"How are you feeling?" Clint asked.

"Better." Claire replied.

"That's good to hear." Tony said.

"Come on, Claire." Steve said. "Let's get going."

"Bye guys." Claire said.

"Bye Claire. Bye Steve." They said.

Claire followed her father out of the building.

A little bit later, Claire and Steve walked into the nursing home. "Here to see Mrs. Carter?" The receptionist asked.

"Yes." Steve said.

"Go on ahead." The receptionist said.

Steve and Claire headed down the hall and walked into Peggy's room.

"Hi sweetheart." Peggy said.

"Hi Mom." Claire said as she hugged her mom.

"How are you feeling?" Peggy asked.

"Ok." Claire asked. "Except for having a headache."

"Well, I'm glad you're ok." Peggy said. Claire nodded. "I saw the news." Peggy said.

"You did?" Claire asked.

"I'm proud of you for what you did." Peggy said.

"Thanks Mom." Claire said. She continued to talk to her mom.

That evening, Claire was on the balcony of the apartment, texting Sarah.

Sarah: You know, you're all over the news. More than the others.

Claire: Really?

Sarah: Everyone wants to know who the teenager is that fought alongside the Avengers.

Claire: Ahh. Ok.

Sarah: It's pretty cool that you were part of that.

Claire: Thanks. Are you ok? You didn't get hurt, did you?

Sarah: Nope. I'm good. What about you?

Claire: Eh. I ended up getting knocked out after getting exhausted. But I'm ok now.

Sarah: That's good to hear. I have to homework to do, so I'll talk to you later.

Claire: Ok.

Claire walked into the living room to watch tv with her father. Sarah was right. She was all over the news. "Do you think they're going to figure out that I'm your daughter?" She asked her dad.

"I hope not." Steve said. "I don't want you to be ambushed by all of that if they do find out." Claire nodded. "Why don't you head to bed." Steve said. "It's been a long two days for you."

"Night Dad." Claire said as she stood up.

"Good night, Angel." Steve said. Claire went into her room, got ready for bed, and went to sleep.