Chapter 27

Steve sat next to Claire's bed in the med bay. He was stroking her hair when she woke up. "Hey." He said. "How are you feeling?"

Claire stared at Steve before trying to lunge at him. But, she was held back by restraints. Steve backed up a bit. Claire broke free of the restraints and went after him. "I hate you!" She said as she pushed him into a table. Which caused stuff to get knocked off the table.

"Tony! Bruce!" Steve called.

Claire continued to say "I hate you" as she went on attacking Steve. The rest of them rushed into the room. They grabbed Claire and set her back on the bed. "Get off me!" Claire said as they put stronger restraints on her. Bruce gave her a sedative. They helped Steve up.

"Are you alright?" Maria asked. Steve walked out of the med bay without a word.

"Steve!" Natasha called.

A few minutes later, Steve was sitting on the balcony.

"Hey." Natasha said. "You ok?" Steve just sat there, not saying anything. "Want to come inside?" Natasha asked. "It's pretty cold out here."

"I shouldn't of agreed to it." Steve said. "I was hoping it would work and Tony let me down."

"Don't put that on him, Steve." Natasha said. "He did said that it was experimental and that it might not work."

"But, why put her through that?" Steve asked.

"She wasn't physically hurt by it." Natasha said. Steve just shook his head. "Steve, I know this really hard on you." Natasha said.

"Don't. Don't try to understand what I'm going through right now." Steve said. "I can't see my daughter because she has no memory of me and every time she sees me, she tries to attack and kill me." He stormed into the tower and Natasha stood there, speechless.

Steve bolted up in his bed, sweat running down his face. He was praying that that nightmare doesn't come true. He climbed out of bed and changed into running clothes.

As he walked towards the tower's entrance, he noticed Natasha and Sam. Sam had come to New York as some support for Steve. "I'm going for a run." Steve said.

"It's five in the morning." Natasha said. "You should go back to bed. You haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately."

"I need to clear my head." Steve said.

"Have the nightmare again?" Sam asked.

Steve just nodded. "Call me if she wakes up." He said before heading outside.

Claire woke up to bright lights. She blinked a few times to adjust to the light. She saw an IV sticking out of her and heard beeping. She concluded that she was in the med bay. She noticed Tony and Bruce in the room. "Tony." She said, hoarsely. Both men put their attention on her.

"Hey." Tony said.

"What happened?" Claire asked.

"You just had surgery." Bruce said.

"How are you feeling?" Tony asked.

"Ok." Claire said.

"Do you feel ok enough for us to ask you a few questions?" Bruce asked. Claire nodded.

"Do you know what your name is?" Tony asked.

"Claire Rogers." Claire answered.

"Do you know where you are?" Bruce asked.

"I'm in the med bay of the Avengers tower." Claire replied.

"Since you called him Tony, I'm guessing you remember who we are?" Bruce asked. Claire nodded.

Tony picked up a picture and showed it to Claire. "Do you know who this is?" He asked her.

"That's my father, Steve Rogers." Claire answered.

"Do you want to do anything to him?" Bruce asked.

Claire remembered everything she had tried to do to her father. "I don't have the urge to kill him." She said with a few tears rolling down her cheek. "I want to see him."

"That's fine." Tony said.

"I'll let the others know she's awake." Bruce said as he stood up and walked out of the room.

"Uh Claire." Tony started. "We need put restraints on you just in case."

"I understand." Claire said, cutting him off. Tony nodded. He gently put restraints on Claire's wrists. He was trying not to hurt her or make them so tight.

About an hour after Steve left, he walked into the Avengers tower. He saw everyone waiting for him, except Tony and Bruce. "What?" Steve asked.

"Claire's awake." Maria said.

"She is?" Steve asked as he made his way towards the med bay.

"Steve wait." Natasha said. "We have to be careful. She may still."

"I know." Steve said.

Claire saw her father standing in the entrance of the med bay. "Daddy." She said.

"Hey Angel." Steve said as he cautiously walked over to his daughter. "How are you feeling?"

"Better." Claire said. She went to hug him, but she couldn't because of the restraints.

"Can't you take those off?" Steve asked Tony and Bruce. They hesitated for a moment.

"I'm not going to hurt him." Claire said. Bruce and Tony took the restraints off Claire's wrists. "Thank you." Claire said. Tony and Bruce nodded and walked out of the med bay. Claire started crying. "I'm so sorry, Daddy." She said.

"Claire, you have nothing to be sorry for." Steve said.

"But, I attacked you multiple times and tried to kill you." Claire said.

"It doesn't matter." Steve said. "None of that is your fault. That wasn't you." Claire sobbed into her father's shoulder. "Shh. It's ok, baby girl." Steve assured her, stroking her hair. "You're ok, now."

All Claire wanted right now was to be comforted by her father. But, part of her was terrified she was going to attack him again.