Chapter 32

A couple days later, Claire was in her room getting ready for the day. Steve was taking her to go to see Peggy. Once Claire finished getting ready, she walked to her father's room.

"Hey." Steve said. "Ready to go?"

"I'm sorry." Claire said.

"What are you sorry for?" Steve asked.

"For everything that I've done to you." Claire said.

"Come here." Steve said. Claire walked over to him and they both sat on his bed. "You have nothing to be sorry for." Steve said.

"I know, but I feel like I have to." Claire said. "You shouldn't of had to deal with all of this. You were dealing with your own stuff when you came out of that ice. And then you had to deal with me having violent outbursts and waking you up every night. And then with me attacking and almost killing you. You should have left me in that Hydra base."

"Claire, you're my daughter. When your mother told me about you, I knew I had to find you. It didn't matter if I had never met you." Steve said. "Nothing that has happened is any of your fault."

"I know. I know." Claire said. "I had no control of it and didn't know what I was doing."

"I love you so much, baby girl." Steve said, stroking her hair. "Nothing will ever change that."

"I love you too, Daddy." Claire said.

Steve kissed Claire on the forehead. "Oh. I have something for you." He said.

"What?" Claire asked. He pulled something out of his pocket. Claire saw that it was her locket.

"I know how upset you were when you realized you broke it." Steve said. "So, I fixed it. I know it's not much of a birthday gift."

"Thank you." Claire said.

"You're welcome." Steve said. "Happy birthday, Angel."

Claire smiled at her father and took the necklace. She noticed a drawing on her father's desk. It was a drawing she had made in Art class. It was a drawing of her, her mother, and her father. Peggy was in a red hat, blue and white jacket, and a blue skirt. Claire was in a red, white, and blue dress. And Steve was in a Captain America suit.

"Did you take this from my room?" Claire asked.

"I only did it because it was really good and I was proud of you." Steve said.

"Ok." Claire said.

"I know you wish the three of us could have been a family." Steve said. "And I'm sorry you never got that."

"I know." Claire said. "It's ok. I understand."

"Come on." Steve said. "I think breakfast is ready."

They walked out of the room and to the kitchen. Everyone was there. Maria was making blueberry pancakes. Claire's favorite.

"Happy birthday, Claire!" They all said.

"Thanks guys." Claire said. She sat at the table and started eating.

"I wanted to give you something, Claire." Tony said. He handed her a necklace with a shield on the chain.

"Thank you, Tony." Claire said.

"To be honest. I can't take the credit." Tony said. "My father had that and said he was going to give to you."

"Thank you anyway." Claire said.

"I figured your mother would want to see it." Tony said.

"Why don't you go with us to see her." Claire suggested.

"I'm ok." Tony said. "I don't want to intrude on your time with your mother."

"Please." Claire said.

"I'm sure Peggy would like to see you." Steve said.

"Alright." said Tony.

"Yay." Claire exclaimed.

"You guys can use a jet and use the roof of the Triskelion for landing." Natasha said. They all nodded.

A little bit later, Steve, Claire, and Tony were in Peggy's room at the nursing home in D.C.

"Happy birthday, my beautiful girl." Peggy said. Claire leaned over to hug her and Peggy kissed her on the side of the head. She noticed the necklace Claire was wearing. She glanced at Tony and looked back at Claire. "This looks beautiful on you." Peggy said.

"Thanks Mom." Claire said. "Tony gave it to me."

"I figured. I don't know who else you get that from." Peggy said. "I remember when Howard made this and showed it to me. He was going to give that to you for your 16th birthday."

"Well, I got it for my 16th birthday anyway." Claire said.

"I'm going to let the three of you talk." Tony said.

"I'm glad you came." Peggy said. "It was good to see you."

"You too, Peggy." Tony said.

"And thank you for giving that to her." Peggy said.

"I figured she should have it since my father made it for her." Tony said. He hugged Peggy before walking out of the room.

"I have something to give you." Peggy said to Claire. "Steve, there's a box in the closet. Can you get it for me?" Steve nodded. He grabbed the box from the closet and set it on the bed. Peggy took something out and put in Claire's hands.

When Claire looked at what it was, she saw it was her father's dog tags. "Dad's dog tags?" She asked.

"I had planned to give them to you when you turned 18." Peggy said.

"I can't take these." Claire said. "They're Dad's."

"It's ok, Claire." Steve said. "You can have them."

"But, they belong to you." Claire said. She started to hand the dog tags to him, but Steve stopped her.

"I want you to have them." He said. He took the dog tags from her and put them around her neck.

"Thank you." Claire said. Not long after that,

Peggy started forgetting things. So, Steve and Claire decided to leave. Claire hugged her mother. She knew that any of these visits could be the last time she saw her mother. The two walked out of the nursing home and they, along with Tony, headed back to New York.