Chapter 11

Claire woke up one morning. She climbed out of her bed, grabbed a towel, and walked into the bathroom. She turned the water on and undressed. Once the water was warm enough, Claire stepped into the shower. She let the water wake her up. Over the last week and a half, Claire had been sleeping in her own room again. She still had nightmares, but she didn't have them every night anymore. She hated to admit it, but the therapy sessions were helping her. Once Claire finished in the shower, she turned the water off and stepped out. She dried her herself and blow dried her hair. She wrapped a towel around herself before walking back into the room. She went over to her closet, picking out an outfit. She decided on a white tank with a plaid shirt, jeans, and brown ankle boots.

After Claire finished getting dressed, she looked in her vanity mirror and put a little bit of makeup on

After Claire finished getting dressed, she looked in her vanity mirror and put a little bit of makeup on. Once she finished getting ready for the day, Claire headed downstairs. She saw her father, sitting at the kitchen table.

"Morning Dad." She greeted him.

"Good morning, sweetheart." Steve greeted.

Claire grabbed some waffles out of the fridge and put them in the toaster. She poured herself a glass of milk. When her waffles were done, she set herself on the table and joined her father. She noticed him reading something. She looked over and saw something that read, 'The Avengers Initiative." "What's that?" Claire asked.

"Oh nothing." Steve said. "Just something that SHIE- Nick is doing." Claire nodded. "So, I have a mission to go on." Steve said.

"Can I go with you?" Claire said.

"I'm still not that comfortable with you being an agent." Steve said. "I don't want you getting hurt."

"Please Dad." Claire said. "I haven't gone on a mission yet since becoming an agent."

Steve sighed. "Fine." He said. "I'll call Nick and see if it's ok." Claire continued to eat while her father called Nick.

"What did he say?" Claire asked, once he was off the phone.

"He said it was fine." said Steve.

"Ok." Claire said, cheering a little bit. Once they finished eating, they both cleaned up.

"Come on, let's head to the headquarters." Steve said. Claire nodded and put her jacket on. She followed her dad outside and got on the bike, behind him. They rode to the SHIELD building.

When they arrived, Steve and Claire walked inside. They were greeted by a man. "Hello Steve. Claire." The man said. "I'm agent Phil Coulson. I'm here to bring you two to the helicarrier."

"It's nice to meet you, Phil." Steve said as both him and Claire shook Phil's hand.

"You guys too." Phil said. "Are you guys ready?"

Steve and Claire nodded. They followed Phil up to the roof. They saw a quinjet. The three of them boarded the jet and the driver started it. Claire sat in a seat next to her dad. Phil handed Steve a tablet and started telling them about Bruce Banner. The tablet showed a guy with dark hair and then a green giant appeared to be smashing stuff.

"So, Dr. Banner tried to replicate the serum used on me?" Steve asked.

"He wasn't the only one. You were the world's first superhero." Phil explained. "Banner thought that gamma radiation would hold the key to Erskine's original formula."

"I see it didn't work out very well for him." Claire said.

"Not so much." Phil said. "But when he's not the Hulk, he's like Stephen Hawking." Both Claire and Steve looked at Phil in confusion, not knowing who that was. "He's a really smart guy." Phil explained. Claire and Steve nodded, understanding. "I gotta say. It's an honor to meet you and have you on board." Phil said to Steve. "As well as you too, Claire."

"Well, I hope I'm the person for the job." Steve said.

"You are definitely the person for the job." Phil said. "Steve, we made some modifications to the uniform." He showed Steve a piece of paper.

"Aren't the Stars and Stripes a little old-fashioned?" Steve asked.

"With everything that's happening, we need a little old-fashioned." Phil said. Steve nodded.

A few minutes later, they arrived at the helicarrier. The jet landed and Claire got off with her father and Phil.

Claire saw Natasha. "Hey Nat!" She exclaimed.

"Hey Claire." Natasha said. "Steve."

"Natasha." Steve said.

Natasha looked at Phil. "They need you on the bridge." She said to him. Phil nodded before walking off. "Coulson's a big fan of yours." Natasha said to Steve. "Did he ask you to sign his trading cards?"

"Trading cards?" Steve asked.

"They're vintage." Natasha exclaimed. "He's very proud." They walked up to a guy that looked similar to guy on the tablet. Claire guessed he was Dr. Banner.

"Dr. Banner." Steve said, walking up to him and shaking his hand.

"Oh. Hi." Bruce said. "They told me you would be coming." Claire looked around while her dad and Dr. Banner talked, not paying attention to their conversation. Natasha brought her attention back.

"Gentleman. And Claire." She said. "You may want to step inside. It's going to get very hard to breathe in a moment." All of a sudden, the helicarrier started shaking.

"Claire, get back." Steve said as he pulled her away from the edge. She saw the helicarrier lift off the ocean. She walked inside with her father, Natasha, and Bruce. There was a lot of commotion going on inside. Claire saw Natasha looking at a picture of Clint on a computer screen.

"Where's Clint?" She asked.

"The person that we're trying to get the Tesseract from has him under his control." Natasha explained.

"Is he ok?" Claire asked.

"Hopefully." Natasha said before walking over to where everyone else was.

Claire didn't really pay attention to what was going on. Instead, she sat at a table and played on her phone. Thanks to Sarah, she had gotten the hang of using her phone.

After a little bit, Claire noticed her dad and Phil sit next to her. She saw that Phil had his trading cards out. She had seen those cards before. They had come out with them only a few years after everyone thought that her dad had died. A lot of the boys in her school would have them. "If it's not too much to ask." Phil started.

"No. It's fine." Steve said.

"They're vintage." Phil explained. "Took me a couple of years to collect them all."

Just then, an agent interrupted their conversation. "We got a hit." The agent exclaimed. "69% match."

"What's the location?" Nick asked.

"Stuttgart, Germany." The agent replied. "He's not exactly hiding."

"Captain, you're up." Nick said to Steve. Steve nodded and walked out of the room.

Claire followed. "Can I go with you?" She asked.

"No." Steve said.

"Come on, Dad. Please." Claire said.

"I said no." Steve said. "Just stay here. Please." Claire looked down and nodded. She went to a room that looked like a lounge.