Chapter 39

The next morning, Claire woke up and got out of bed. She walked out of the guest room and walked into the hallway. She saw Laura in the kitchen.

"Good morning, Claire." Laura warmly greeted her.

"Good morning." Claire said with a yawn. "Sorry."

"It's alright." Laura said. "Are you hungry? I have some muffins you can have."

"Do you have chocolate chip?" Claire asked.

"I do." Laura answered. Claire sat at the counter.

"Do you drink coffee?" Laura asked.

"Yes." Claire replied.

"I'll make you some." Laura said.

A few moments later, Laura set a plate with a muffin on it and a cup of coffee, in front of her.

"Thank you." Claire said.

"You're welcome." Laura said.

Claire started to eat. "I'm sorry if me being here is an inconvenience." Claire said.

"Oh no. You're fine." Laura said. "I understand."

"Do you know what happened?" Claire asked.

"Clint kind of filled me in." Laura said. "I hope that's ok."

"It's fine." Claire said. "Plus, I'm sure you already knew who I was. I've been all over the news lately."

"I'm sure that hasn't been easy." Laura said.

"It hasn't been too bad." Claire. "I've been doing my best to avoid the the press and media."

"I'm sure it also hasn't been easy dealing with everything." Laura said. "You're just a kid. You were probably expecting to have a normal life."

"Well, with my dad being who he is and me inheriting his abilities. I knew I wasn't going to have a completely normal life." Claire said. "Before everything happened to me back then, I was planning on joining the agency and helping my Mom run it." Laura nodded.

Lila then came up to them. "Do you want to come play with me in my room?" She asked

Claire. Claire glanced at Laura before looking back at Lila. "Sure." She said. "Why not."

"Great." Lila said. She grabbed Claire's hand and brought her to her room. Claire played with Lila for a little bit.

"Claire, your Dad's here." Laura said. The girls looked up to see Laura, Steve, and Clint in the doorway.

"Hey Dad." Claire said.

"Hi sweetheart." Steve said.

"Hi Daddy." Lila said to Clint, running over to him.

"Oh. Hey pumpkin." Clint said as he picked Lila up.

"Claire and I were playing together." Lila said.

"I can see that." Clint said. "Did you have fun with Claire?"

"Yeah!" Lila said.

Clint chuckled. "Well, Daddy has to go back to work, so I will see you soon." He said, setting Lila down.

"Kay." Lila said.

"Ready to go, Claire?" Steve asked.

"Yes." Claire said. She looked at Laura. "Thank you for breakfast." She said. "And for letting me stay the night."

"Of course, Claire." Laura said. "You are welcome here anytime." Claire smiled.

"Bye Claire." Lila said.