Chapter 29

When they arrived at the house, they hopped off the motorcycle.

"So, you and your mother lived in Brooklyn while you were growing up?" Steve asked.

"I guess Mom wanted me to grow where you grew up?" Claire said. She started to walk up towards the house.

"Claire." Steve said.

"Oh. So now you're worried about trespassing." Claire said. "If you can do it, so can I." Steve just chuckled. "Dad, I'm really sorry for everything." Claire said.

"Claire, you have nothing to apologize for." Steve said. "That wasn't you. You weren't yourself."

"Is that what you told yourself when Bucky attacked us?" Claire asked.

Steve was quiet for a moment. "I guess." He said.

"I knew him." Claire said.

"Well, I'm sure your mother had told you about him and showed you pictures." Steve said.

"Yeah, she did." Claire said. "But, that's not how I know him."

"What do you mean?" Steve asked.

"I saw him a few times in Hydra." Claire explained. "At the time, I didn't remember who he was." Steve nodded. "There's something else that you should know about Bucky." Claire said.

"What?" Steve asked.

"I'm the reason Bucky is the way he is." Claire said.

"What do you mean?" Steve asked.

"In D.C., Pierce told me that Hydra used my blood to turn him into a super soldier." Claire explained.

"That is not your fault." Steve said. "You are not the reason that Bucky is the person we saw in D.C. Hydra did that to him. Don't put that on yourself." Claire nodded.

"Come on. Let's get something to eat." Steve said.

"Ok." Claire said.

A few minutes later, they pulled up to a diner. The two of them got off the bike and walked inside. Claire looked around for a table.

"Why don't we sit over there." Steve suggested.

Claire looked to where Steve was referring to and she saw Sarah. "Sarah!" She exclaimed, going over to her.

"Claire!" Sarah said. They hugged each other.

"I asked her to meet us here for lunch." Steve said. "She's been calling and I figured you'd want to see her."

"Thank you." Claire said. They all sat at the table and ordered their lunch. "So apparently, my Dad is sending me back to school." Claire said.

"That's great." Sarah said.

"At least you'll have Sarah there with you." Steve said.

"That's not going to keep me from freaking out." Claire said.

"I'd be happy to keep an eye on Claire, when I can, during school." Sarah offered.

"Thank you, Sarah." Steve said. "I think we both would appreciate that."

"Great. I have a babysitter." Claire said.

"Claire." Steve scolded. "Enough."

"Sorry." Claire said.

"It's ok." Sarah said. "You know, you're all over the news." Claire looked at her father.

"I'll explain later." Steve said. They all continued to eat.

A little bit later, Steve and Claire walked into the Avengers tower. Everyone was in the lounge now.

"Hey guys." Clint greeted. "How was your father daughter day?"

"I think we both enjoyed it." Steve said.

"Feeling a little better, Claire?" Natasha asked.

"Yeah." Claire answered. "I got to see Sarah today."

"That's great." Maria said.

Claire turned to her father. "What did Sarah mean when she said I was all over the news?" She asked.

"I'll show you." Steve said. He turned the tv onto the news.

Claire saw pictures and videos of herself. The headline read Captain America has a daughter." Claire looked at everyone.

"When Hydra infiltrated SHIELD, Nick decided to put out all of it's secrets." Natasha said.

"Including you." Steve added.

"So, the entire world knows knows I'm your daughter." Claire said.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart." Steve said. "I know this probably isn't what you need to deal with right now."

"It's ok." Claire said. "I always thought eventually it would get out."

"We should come up with a superhero name for you." Tony suggested. "What about The American Girl?"

Claire laughed. "I like it." She said. She looked at Steve. "Does Mom know?" Steve nodded. "Can we go see her tomorrow?" Claire asked.

"Of course." Steve said. "But, just letting you know. She has no idea about everything that happened to you in D.C. and here. I didn't want her to worry about you." Claire nodded.

AN: Face claim for Sarah is Maddie Hasson