Chapter 18

The next morning, Claire woke up to her alarm going off. She got out of bed, grabbed a towel, and went into her bathroom. She turned the shower on and let the water get warm while she undressed. Once it was warm enough, Claire stepped into shower. She let the warm water wake her up. When she finished in the shower, Claire stepped out and dried off. She wrapped the towel around herself and blow dried her hair. Afterwards, Claire walked back into her room and looked through her closet for an outfit.

Once she finished, Claire headed into the living room. She saw that she had a text from her dad, letting her know that he was on his way back to SHIELD and to meet him there. Claire grabbed the keys and walked out of the apartment. She walked outside, put her helmet on, and got on her motorcycle. She rode to the nearby cafe and grabbed herself some breakfast.

A little bit later, Claire walked into the SHIELD building. She saw her father coming off an elevator with director Fury. "Dad." Claire called as she ran over to him.

"Hey Angel." Steve said, embracing her. "I missed you, sweetheart."

"I missed you too." Claire said.

"I have some errands to run." Steve said. "Want to come with me?"

"Sure." Claire said.

A few minutes later, they were walking around the Smithsonian Museum. They were in an exhibit that was dedicated to Captain America. Claire was reading some things describing her father. She started giggling when she saw what her father looked like before the serum. "What's so funny?" Steve asked.

"Just how scrawny you were." Claire said. "You were a weakling." Steve chuckled.

They heard a narrator talking. "A symbol to the nation. A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honor, bravery and sacrifice. Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform him into the world's first super soldier."

"How sick were you before the serum?" Claire asked her father, curious.

"I had a lot of chronic illnesses." Steve replied. "I understand why I kept getting denied."

"But, you kept enlisting." Claire said.

"I had determination." Steve explained. "My father was in the war. I wanted to follow in his footsteps and wanted to be given a chance." Claire nodded. "Your mother didn't tell you anything about me?" Steve asked.

"She and Uncle Howard didn't talk about you much. I guess it was too hard for them." Claire answered. Steve nodded. They came to a video that was talking about James Buchanan Barnes. "He was your best friend, right?" Claire asked.

"We were more like brothers, but yes." Steve said.

They walked into another room where there was a video of Peggy Carter doing an interview. A young Claire was standing next to her. The bottom of the screen said, "New York, 1953." Claire was 9 at the time.

"That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half our battalion behind the German line. Steve...Captain Rogers, he fought his way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. He saved over a thousand men, including the man who would...who would become my husband as it turned out. Even after he died, Steve was still changing my life." Peggy said in the video. She looked down at her daughter when she said the last part.

Claire saw her father take a small compass out of his pocket. It had a picture of her mother in it.

"Do you want to go see her?" Steve asked. Claire nodded. "Come on." Steve said. They walked out of the museum and headed to the nursing home that was Peggy was in.