Unhappy

"We ended up staying later and going out with them," You conclude your story, "That's when he and I really clicked."

"So would you describe it as love as first sight?" The marriage counselor inquires.

You shrug your shoulders. "I guess. But, you know, everything's not as it seems." Your eyes shift over to Patrick who looks like he was about one thousand percent done with this shit. You return your gaze back to the counselor, "And...And...um..." Your voice trails off.

She looks at you with raised eyebrows.

"And..." You repeat, still not being able to finish your statement.

"And that feeling that we had that night isn't there anymore," Patrick speaks up. You tilt your head down. He stole the words right from your mouth. "That's why we're here...I think."

"Ahh," She comments, scribbling down something in that notebook of hers. You and Patrick both sit up, trying to get a glance at what she was writing down, but before you or him can really see anything, she flips the notebook up and flashes you and your boyfriend a smile. "Well, that concludes this session," She announces.

"That's it?" Patrick questions.

"Yup! The hour's over." The counselor retorts, standing up and extending her hand outward for a handshake, "It was a pleasure meeting the two of you. I expect to see you here in a couple of days...?" Her last statement comes out more as a question.

"Wait, that's all?" You ask, standing up and Patrick following suit.

"Yes," She answers you, retracting her hand back, seeing as she isn't going to receive a handshake back.

"Are you serious?" Patrick interrogates, "I came all the way here to just have my girlfriend tell you about how we met and to have you ask if it was love at first sight? Shouldn't you being asking us questions? You know, about our...issues?"

"I'm honestly just here to let you guys talk things out, give my feedback if so desired or required. Sometimes urge you to continue, you know, if you get stuck. But these sessions are really driven by the couples, not me." Before either you or Patrick can respond, she rattles off where you can pay and make an appointment and leaves the room.

"What a waste of money this was," Patrick mumbles under his breath, annoyed. He crosses his arms and you glare over at him, "We could've done this on our own."

"Well I disagree," You state tersely before exiting the room.

*****

The two of you walk through the front door of your house.

"I don't like her," Patrick comments as he shuts the door behind you and him. You begin to take off your coat.

"Neither do I, but it's the only way we'll solve this problem," You reply, hanging your coat up and walking further into the house you and Patrick have been living in for the past four years. It wasn't a big house, but it was perfect for the two of you. It was in a nice neighborhood and you were fairly acquainted with your neighbors.

"The only way? (Y/N), if you want to talk things out, let's talk things out." He follows you. "We don't need to go to some fucking therapist to talk, do we?"

"She's not a therapist, she's a marriage counselor," You correct him.

He rolls his eyes, "Same thing."

"And to answer your question, yes. Yes, we do need to go to 'some fucking therapist' to talk. And you want to know why? Because you never want to talk!"

"We're talking right now, aren't we?" His voice is raised, angry.

You scoff and shake your head, "Fuck off, Patrick."

He doesn't hesitate to walk away. You sigh.

This was how it's been for weeks now. The way the two of you couldn't be in the same room as the other person without someone having to leave for whatever reason. The way all that came out of your mouth or his was crap. You can't remember the last time he said "I love you" to you or the last time you said "I love you" to him.

Sometimes you think about leaving, early in the morning, just disappearing, maybe leaving Patrick a note that explained why you weren't there. But you can't imagine doing that to him, as unhappy as you are with him.

You deserve to be happy and so does he. So how come you and him were staying in this unhappy relationship?

Because you can't leave him. That's why. You tried once before and it failed. You can not leave him.