Mother Knows Best

The bliss you and Patrick have lasts for about a week before everything goes right back to the way it used to be.

It's like déjà vu for you. The two of you can't stand each other. You can't talk to one another without it escalating into a full-blown argument. He's back to locking himself in the bedroom the two of you share. And you? You're starting to regret listening to him when he said you wouldn't need to go to any more sessions.

One day, while you're home alone (Patrick is out doing god knows what - he didn't tell you much other than that he was going out), your mom - someone you haven't seen in a while - surprises you by coming by and asking if you want to go out. She was in the neighborhood and thought it would be nice for the two of you to talk, catch up on things.

You're thrown off by her offer, because ever since you moved out, there's been this disconnect between the two of you. You believe it has to do with you leaving home at such a young age to be with an "older man" as your mom liked to say. Plus, she never really like him.

You introduced him to her once before and the two of them didn't get along at all. Patrick tried his hardest to keep things positive, complimenting her and telling her he's only heard good things about her, but he found it difficult when all she did was accuse him of treating me poorly because of how she thought he treated you, or how he didn't treat you. She didn't grasp the concept of how you kept a relationship with him when he was away all the time. At the time, that kind of thing didn't bother you - you believed you and Patrick would last forever. But all good things come to an end, right?

Nonetheless though, you agree and the two of you go to the mall. You and your mom are walking through the mall, soft drinks from Auntie Anne's Pretzels in hand and bags from various stores the two of you have already went to.

"So where's that boyfriend of yours?" Your mother blurts out.

"Home," You answer, bringing the blue straw to your lips.

"Why didn't he come with you?" She inquires.

You shrug your shoulders, "He's busy writing songs."

She laughs, "Oh right, because he's in that band, right?"

"No, mom, their band took a hiatus a year ago."

"'Took a hiatus'? So they're coming back?"

"Beats me."

Your mother stares at you for a little before asking if the two of you can sit down. You tell her yes and walk over to the fountain, sitting on the ledge and setting down your bags. "There's something I want to talk to you about." You look at her worriedly. "So, um, your stepdad and me have been talking and...we want to move." You stare at her blankly. "Out of state."

"I-I think that's great," You try to keep a positive attitude. The last thing you need is for your mom to be upset with you too.

"Really?" She asks, surprised by your reaction.

"Yeah. Who wants to stay in stupid old Chicago anyways? There's nothing here anymore anyways..."

Your mother looks at you for the longest time before asking concernedly, "Is everything alright, (Y/N)?"

"Yeah, everything's fine," You answer, fiddling with your hands in your lap. "Why wouldn't everything be alright?"

"(Y/N), you're lying to me."

You laugh nervously, "No I'm not."

"Yes you are. (Y/N), you can't lie to me. You never could. So spill it. What's going on?" Your mom scooches closer to you so you don't have to speak so loudly.

You heave a sigh and confide in her, "Remember when I first introduced you to Patrick? And you pulled me aside and told me you didn't think he was the right one for me?"

She nods her head in remembrance, retorting with a chuckle, "To which you replied that you didn't give a shit and you loved him and you wanted me to love him too. Or at least act like it."

You laugh, "Yup. Seems like yesterday. But, um, well...I think you were right. About him not being the right one for me."

She pouts, rubbing your back comfortingly, "Aww, I'm sorry, honey."

You shrug your shoulders, "It's just...what we had is gone now. I can barely stand even looking at him, because when I see him, I just want to yell at him," You disclose to the woman who raised you, "He just makes me so...so mad!"

"Then why don't you break up with him?" Your mom is eager to suggest.

"Mom, breaking up with him isn't even an option-"

"Sure it is," She cuts you off before you can continue, "It's as simple as telling him you're through and leaving. That's what I did to your dad and look how happy I am!" She throws her hands in the air theatrically, causing you to giggle in embarrassment.

"Mom, stop, we're in public," You beg.

She retracts her arms to her sides and sighs, "Fine. But I'm serious. You shouldn't stay in a relationship you're not happy in anymore, honey."

"We have our happy moments..." You try to defend yours and Patrick's relationship.

"You should be happy all the time, (Y/N), not just at certain moments."

You hang your head, "You really think I should break up with him?" She nods her head yes. "But-"

"No buts, (Y/N)," Your mom once again interrupts you, "It's obvious you're not happy. Ask anyone in this mall and they would agree with me. And I hate seeing my little girl sad." She tucks a piece of your hair behind your ear and smiles at you, "I want to see you happy again, (Y/N). And I think the best way to do that is if you break up with him. For good."