Distance

It's your next therapy session. The counselor is running late but the secretary unlocks her office for you, letting you and Patrick sit in there. The two of you take seats on the couch as far away from each other as physically possible. You sit in silence.

You heave a sigh and pull out your phone, casually asking, "So how's your song coming along?" You begin to check to see if you have any text messages.

"It's coming," He answers vaguely, eyeing you and your phone. He wants to do the same thing but he lost his phone a few days ago.

"That's good."

"I guess."

Again, silence.

"I talked to Pete yesterday," Patrick blurts out.

"Oh did you?" You're just staring at your phone now. The screen isn't even on. You just didn't want to meet Patrick's gaze.

"Yeah."

"What'd he say?"

"He just told me how he and Ashlee have been having some issues lately," He shifts uncomfortably in his chair and you finally glance up and over at him.

"They are?"

He nods his head, but doesn't say anything.

The two of you sit there for a minute or two before the door opens and the counselor enters, rambling off her apologies as she takes off her coat and sets down her bags. She sits down across from you and your boyfriend and exhales audibly. "God, I am so sorry," She says for the fifth time, pulling out the notebook she's been taking down notes in and a pen, "How have you two been lately?" You and Patrick don't respond. She nods her head and says, "Well, what's today's session going to be about?"

"Distance," You answer instantaneously. Patrick heaves a sigh and shakes his head.

"Distance," The counselor repeats, scribbling the word down, "Okay. So...how does distance play a role in your relationship, would you say?"

"Well-" You begin to say when Patrick interrupts you.

"I'm in a band. Or at least I was. And being in a band calls for me to be away for long periods of time. (Y/N) knew this when she started dating me. You can't entirely blame me for this. She knew what she was getting herself into."

"I wasn't blaming anyone," The counselor retorts calmly, "I merely asked how distance plays a role in your relationship." Patrick crosses his arms. She looks over at you and asks, "How often would you say he's away?"

You glance over at Patrick, making sure that he wasn't going to cut you off again, but he has taken interest in some book that he's picked up off of the end table and was leafing through. You return your attention to the counselor and say, "He's away a lot, actually. On tour. In the recording studio. Just hanging out with the guys. That was a little while ago, though. But not much has changed, even though he's not in a band anymore. He's still always out."

"And how do you feel about him being away so much?" She questions.

You shrug your shoulders, "I-I don't mind it. I mean, sometimes I wish he was home, but other times..." You stop mid-sentence and change what you were saying, "I mean, when he's home, he's always up in our bedroom. It's not like he's with me."

"Patrick," She turns her attention to him, "Is this true?"

"I'm a busy man, what I can I say?" He replies arrogantly. You roll your eyes. "Look, I already told you, she knew what she was getting herself into when she started dating me. If she doesn't like it anymore then...then she can just leave!"

You stare at Patrick in disbelief. The counselor is made uncomfortable.

"I never said I didn't like it," You try to tell him.

"Oh don't lie to me, (Y/N)," He glares over at you, "This is why you brought me here. So you can have someone tell you that leaving me is the right thing to do, because you don't have the guts to do it yourself." You're struck speechless. He rolls his eyes and sighs, "If you really brought me here to talk things out and save our relationship, (Y/N), then you have to let me tell my side of the story. Not just yours."

You remain silent, still astonished by what Patrick's said.

"Well, Patrick," The counselor says, crossing one leg over the other, "You want to tell your side of the story? Then tell it. I'm listening. How does the distance make you feel?"