One On One - His Side Of The Story

Patrick arrives at the marriage counselor's office alone. He scans the parking lot from his car, looking for your car, but doesn't see it. He heaves a sigh, assuming you must already be in there, and gets out of his car, walking into the office.

He walks up to the desk and says to the receptionist that he's there for a session with your marriage counselor. The friendly receptionist tells him she's in her office waiting for him. He thanks her and goes back to the room he's gone to a few times before. He opens the door, expecting to see you and the counselor, but only sees the counselor. He cocks his eyebrow in confusion.

"Patrick! Come in! Sit down!" The counselor greets happily, taking a sip of her steaming beverage casually before setting it down on the coffee table covered in pamphlets about "saving your marriage". Patrick sits down across from her cautiously.

"Is (Y/N) here?" He asks her.

"I could ask you the same thing," She retorts, making it clear that she doesn't know about your whereabouts either.

He sits back in the couch and taps his fingers on the thigh. The counselor clears her throat and says, "Well you paid for this session, and I already got to know (Y/N) a little better with a one-on-one session with her, what about you and I give it a try?"

"Excuse me?"

"One-on-one, you talk to me and only me, tell me things you wouldn't say if (Y/N) was here," The counselor crosses her legs, "You know, at least until (Y/N) shows up, that is if she shows up at all."

He laughs, "She's going to show up. Trust me."

"But in the meantime, I want to hear from you. Just you." She picks up her cup again and takes a sip before saying, "I noticed that you don't talk a lot during these sessions. I mean, it's always (Y/N) starting them. You just give your commentary every now and then. Except for that one time when you brought up...Warped Tour, was it?" He nods his head. "And how it's not just you who doesn't like being away all the time?" Another nod of the head. "Well that's a start."

"A start to what?" He inquires apprehensively.

"Me getting to know what problems you have with this relationship."

He chuckles, "I don't have problems with 'this relationship'." He even does air quotes. "I love (Y/N) and there's nothing else to it."

"Yeah, but I don't believe you, Mr. Stump," The counselor crosses her legs again and places her hands on her knee, "I mean, I'm sure you love your girlfriend. If you didn't, you wouldn't be here. But it can't just be (Y/N) who has issues with the relationship."

Patrick thinks about what the counselor is saying but doesn't think hard enough. "Look, we're just going through a rough patch," He retorts, "I didn't even want to come here."

"I can see that."

Your boyfriend shifts awkwardly in his seat, "Can I call (Y/N)? Ask her where she is?"

"Be my guest," She gestures towards the door. Patrick doesn't hesitate a second to get up and walk out into the hallway, where he whips out his phone and dials your number. It rings a few times before he's sent to voicemail. He heaves a sigh, not leaving you a message, and walks back into the room, sitting down across from the counselor. "Well?" She asks.

"She didn't pick up," He mumbles, twiddling his thumbs in his lap.

"Why is that?"

"Because I cheated on her and she's pissed at me," He discloses to her.

The counselor is suddenly interested, "You cheated on her, you say?"

"It was a mistake," He mutters, shaking his head. "It was a big fucking mistake and if I could, I would take it all back."

"Really?" Someone other than the counselor asks. He turns his head to see you standing in the doorway. "Do you really mean that, Patrick?" You take one step into the office.

He stands up, "If it would mean that all of this...this fighting and arguing would stop and things would go back to the way they were, then yes." He approaches you and cups your wet cheeks in his hands (for you had been crying on your way there). "I don't like fighting with you, (Y/N)."

"I don't either," You murmur, looking into his green eyes. The corner of his lip curls up before he leans in and kisses you. You kiss him back.

The counselor grins, tapping her pen against her paper. She's seen this happen many times before and she knows exactly what's going to happen and how it's going to end up.

Patrick pulls out of the kiss and leans his forehead against yours, "Let's go home."

"But what about our session?" You inquire.

"We don't need a session, (Y/N). In fact," He takes your hands in his, "This is the last one we'll ever need to go to."

"Are you so sure about that, Mr. Stump?" The counselor chimes in. The two of you look back at her.

"Yes?" Patrick retorts with uncertainty, adding a nervous chuckle.

"Well then it seems like I've done my job," The counselor stands up, a smirk on her face, knowing this is not the last time she sees you and Patrick. "It was nice meeting the two of you. I hope everything works out. And if you ever get married, I better receive an invitation," She jokes.

You smile, "Of course."

She nods her head, "Well, I best be on my way. Have a good day, you two."

"You too," You reply to her as Patrick pulls you close to him and kisses you on the cheek. The counselor leaves the room. You look up at Patrick and grin. "I missed you."

"I missed you too."