Insecure

"When's the last time you had sex?" The counselor comes right out and asks you. Your eyes widen, shocked by her straightforwardness.

"Um...last night," You murmur, rubbing behind your neck and avoiding all eye contact with the counselor. You aren't really comfortable discussing this, let alone with her. This is only your second session and she's already asking about yours and Patrick's sex life.

"And before that?"

You swallow hard, "I-I have no idea." She stares at you, waiting for a better, more "real" answer. You sigh, "I don't know, maybe...maybe my birthday, which was..." You pause as you try to calculate an amount of time, "...about six months ago?"

"And why do you think that is?" She presses the end of her pen to her chin, pursing her lips and looking you directly in the eye. "You know, why you haven't had sex in so long?"

You cross your arms over your chest, your cheeks burning in embarrassment, "I don't know..."

"Sure you do," She prompts you. You shake your head no. "Okay. Then why don't I ask you another question: Is it you or him?"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. Who's the reason you haven't been intimate in so long? You? Or him?"

You laugh nervously, "I still don't know what you mean."

"Yes you do, (Y/N), you just don't want to answer the question." Your cheeks burn even more. The counselor sits back in her chair, "I'm here to help you, (Y/N). I'm not here to make you feel uncomfortable. If you don't want-"

"Me," You cut her off abruptly, suddenly making up your mind to discuss this with her. You want the help. You really do. And if talking to her about this was going to help you, then so be it.

She grins, happy you've come through. Her smile quickly fades though and she becomes serious again. "And why is that, would you say?" She puts the pen to the notebook.

"I don't know..."

"Stop saying that, because you do."

You heave a sigh and hang your head, "I-I...I'm insecure about myself." You slowly look up at her, adding, "I guess that's why we're not...you know. Because of me."

"What is there to be insecure about?"

"Everything."