Time and Again

Captain Janeway and Lieutenant Paris were walking towards the powerplant, when they saw a protest raging on. "Under normal circumstances I'd say we should come back tomorrow." Lieutenant Paris told his captain, who looked up to him and just motioned for them to continue. The two of them pushed their way through the crowd, when suddenly one of the guards whipped the bud of his rifle across Janeway's face. She fell to the ground gripping her head; moaning in pain. One of the protesters pulled her to her feet; half dragging her away. Paris followed closely behind.

Once far enough away, the man let Paris take over helping her. He helped her lean against the wall of the ally that they were in. Tom took a quick look at her head and asked "Are you alright?" She pushed her way up, but swayed and answered "I'm fine. Just a little disoriented, and I have one hell of a headache." She brought her right hand up to the non open part of her head.

The man came back and told them they had to move quickly. He motioned for the Captain to hold on tight to him, so she threw her arms around his shoulders as he kept her upright. The three of them ran across the street, and into a building where they finally got her sitting on the stairs. The leader's assistant handed Tom a first aid kit, and he quickly grabbed the gauze to press it against her head. She shuddered and fell forward. He caught her. She leaned back slightly to look at him and said: "Sorry...I wasn't expecting that." He laughed but continued to say "I have to stitch up your head, but there is no anesthetic. I don't want to cause you more pain but..." She cut him off and told him that she would be fine. He grabbed the materials and quickly stitched it up.

She was in so much pain, but knew that they had to get out of here and back to the ship somehow. The leader's assistant pulled the little boy into the room and immediately Janeway became concerned. She pulled herself up, dismissing the nausea that came with, and yelled out "don't hurt him...Ooh!" she fell into Paris's arms as he held her back. "We have no intention to..." She sighed, but he continued "...if you do as we say." Her breath hitched as he told them what they wanted done. She looked up to Tom, who nodded in agreement. She agreed and off they went for the power plant yet again.

Instead she told them the truth. From behind her she heard the little boy get free. When she spun around and saw the gun going up. She knew she had to do something, so she took off running. She was in front of the boy as soon as the gunshot went off. The assistant ran after the others who had gotten through the gate. She fell to the ground gripping her side and gasping for air. Paris was next to her in seconds, with the little boy sitting behind her leaning over her arm. She pulled her hand away and he saw the blood. He ripped a spot of his shirt off and pressed it to her side. She gripped his shoulder and tried to stay quiet. She managed to say "GO lieutenant...Stop them..." He nodded in agreement. Before he left, he grabbed the boy's shoulder and asked "will you stay with her until I get back?" He nodded and she smiled. With that he was off and ran through the gate.

She turned around slightly and saw the boy sitting there holding her arm. He asked her "You saved my life. How can I ever thank you enough?" She smiled and tried to laugh, but pain raged from her chest. "I knew I couldn't let you be killed by these men...I'm just glad you're alright.." She tried to pull herself up but he was quick to say "No miss!" She looked up and smiled, but against his wishes she kept trying to stand up. Then he decided to ask "Miss? What's your name?" After she had reluctantly given up on trying to stand; she responded "My name is Captain Kathryn Janeway...of the Federation Starship Voyager..." He laughed and said "that's a long title." She tried to laugh again, but the result was no different then when she tried before.

The little boy glanced towards the gate and saw Tom running towards them. "Look! Your friend is coming!" She smiled but was disoriented, so she didn't really hear him. He quickly knelt down next to her and said "Captain? The thing is prevented, and I found a medkit so I grabbed something better to hold on your side...May I?" She slowly lifted her head to see him perfectly healthy. "Of course Lieutenant...but I'm so tired." He quickly tapped her cheeks a couple of times, before telling her "I know Captain, but you need to stay awake." She nodded, before he pressed the cloth to her side. Her arm went up to grip his shoulder, letting her head fall back as she tried to bite her lip and hide the pain in her voice.