Resolutions

Due to an insect bite, Captain Janeway and Commander Chakotay have continued to get closer and closer. Stranded on a planet they named New Earth.. Their marriage hitting a few bumps are now being put up to the ultimate test. One day Kathryn was deep in the woods collecting samples from her traps, when the sky went dark. She started back towards the cabin, but the ground kept shaking, sending her off her feet. She turned a corner when a lightning bolt struck right next to her. She fell to the ground squeezing her left side. "Chakotay?" she cried out, no louder than a whisper.

Back at the cabin Chakotay noticed the storm rolling in and tried to contact Kathryn, but wasn't getting any response. He quickly took off to look for her. He had been shouting her name for a half hour while trudging through the woods; trying to stay on his feet. At last he found her lying on the ground. "Kathryn!" He ran like a cheetah over to her and saw that she is still conscious. "Kathryn? What happened?" He asked, trying to examine the burns that spread across her face. "A lightning bolt...struck next to me...I think..." She said as she tried to sit up, but a surge of pain ripped through her side. Her left hand squeezed itself over her side, but it wasn't helping. "Hold on my dear. I'm going to get you back to the cabin." He told her, and proceeded to quickly carry her to their cabin and shoved her under the table; out of the falling debris path.

He joined her, only to see that she was in so much pain. He tried to ease her up off the floor, but she let a pained sound escape her gritted teeth. "Kathryn! It's going to be alright." He rolled her on her back and noticed the blood that was staining her dress. "Oh my god, Kathryn!" She looked down and saw the same thing that he saw. "Oh Chakotay!" She tried to move, but it only brought more pain and blood to the surface. "Don't move! Just lie still, Okay?" She nodded and slid back down to the floor. He ripped a part of his shirt to press to her side, but once it touched Kathryn; she yelped in pain, gripping Chakotay's shoulder and throwing her head back. He could see the tears falling down her face and knew she was in excruciating pain.

They stayed under the table for three hours before the storm finally ended. She had her eyes closed when Chakotay looked down at her. "Hey, hey! Come on Kathryn, stay with me. Please?" She slowly opened her eyes and saw him standing over her. "Chakotay?" He nodded, so she continued to say "I love you!" He cupped her face but knew he had to help her. "I love you too. Now let's get you out from under here and straight into bed so I can take a look at that burn." They shared a smile as he pushed himself out from the table, only to see the remnants of their once closed cabin.

He jumped back into action when he looked down to see Kathryn emerging from the table on her own. She was on her feet, but swayed on her feet. "Kathryn?" He yelled out and ran towards her as fast as a puma. She nodded and accepted his support; letting herself lean into his well built form. She saw all the damage and gasped. Tears streamed down her face, and Chakotay saw it and pulled her closer to him. He could tell she was getting weaker, so he took the next step and started leading her back into their bedroom, which happened to still be intact. "Lay here and stay still." He told her, while helping her ease onto the bed. He grabbed his pillow and let her use it to support her throbbing head.

When her back finally hit the bed, he knew that she was in excruciating pain. "Were you hit by the lightning bolt earlier?" Chakotay asked, seeing her side coated in blood, with burns around the edges. She pulled herself up to look, but the pain was interminable. "I might have been...but I don't know...for sure...It's bad isn't it?.." She asked, seeing the worry build behind his eyes. "Yes Kathryn, it's bad. I don't know if I can treat you here. Let me go check and see if the replicator is still operational, and I need you to hold this down on your side. Okay?" He told her, replacing his hands with hers.

He walked into the main room, to see the replicator was burned beyond repair. He knew he would have to figure something out, or she would be dead. He went out to get some fresh water and berries, but she was still losing a lot of blood. That night he pulled her as close to him as he could, without causing her more pain. "Chakotay?" She asked quietly. He moved to look at her face. "Can you check my side, please? It feels as though it's burning my flesh." He nodded, and moved to look down. When he lifted her gown a bit, he immediately jumped into action. The burns had spread and she was still bleeding. "Oh Kathryn! The wound has grown a bit and you are losing a lot of blood. I'm praying for a miracle to happen, but until then I need you to fight this." He told her, while changing her bandage.

The next morning they both awoke to the sound of a combadge chirping. Chakotay ran to grab them, while Kathryn tried to pull herself further up the bed. He handed her badge to her, and helped her fix the pillows behind her. "Janeway here! Ohh!.." She spoke very weakly, and waited for a response. "Captain, it's good to hear your voice, but are you alright?" Tuvok called through the link. "She was struck by lightning last night during a severe plasma storm we had. She needs help! We lost our replicator and the majority of our technology." Chakotay said letting Kathryn rest a bit. "Well we will be in orbit approximately 30 minutes from now, and I will send Lieutenant Paris down with the doctor." Tuvok's voice again came through the room. The line went dead, and Chakotay couldn't wait any longer.

He pulled Kathryn up and into his arms, planting a deep kiss on his lips. She went with it for a minute, but suddenly fell limp against his chest. "Kathryn! Come on! Stay with me." He said looking down, to see that she was still awake. "Oh Chakotay! I love you so much, and I want to go back to the ship and our quarters." She spoke softly, and had so much love in her voice. He smiled and said "I want you to be my wife again, when we get back to the ship, If you'll marry me again?" Kathryn couldn't be more happy, but was in so much pain to hug him and said "I think I would pull...rank on you and...order you to...marry me again...Ohh" She tried to laugh but it didn't work out well. For the rest of the half hour they laid together, and talked about how Paris would surely be winning some replicator rations from the ongoing pool that they end up closer together now.

The doctor and Paris were quick to beam down but didn't know where the command team was. "Commander? Captain? Where are you?" Paris called out, and they both saw Chakotay running out of the cabin; motioning for them to follow him. When they made it to the bedroom, they saw the captain trying to get out of bed but watched as Chakotay "persuaded" her to stay down. The doctor was quick to scan her, and found that the lightning had indeed hit her in the side and the plasma radiation was eating away at her skin. "Captain, we need to get you back to sick bay NOW!!!" Paris and Chakotay helped her to stand but she couldn't stay upright, so Chakotay lifted her legs off of the ground and told Paris "Hold this down on the wound!" Paris agreed and pressed down as hard as he could. She yelped in pain, but didn't try to pull away.

When they beamed back to Voyager, they were dropped directly into sickbay. Lieutenant Paris was quick to help Commander Chakotay lay the captain on the nearest biobed. "Come on Kathryn, stay with us." Chakotay coaxed her as he saw that she was fighting to keep her eyes open. The Doctor was quick to administer a sedative so that he could perform surgery. Chakotay had left to go check on the bridge, so that when Kathryn wakes up he can give her a full report.

Finally after six excruciating hours of waiting, he was finally contacted that she was awake and asking for him. Faster than a lion he burst through the sickbay doors, and right to her side. "Oh Kathryn! I'm so glad you're awake. How are you feeling?" Chakotay asked cheerfully. She motioned for him to help her sit up, but he waited til she could get approval from the doctor who said "Captain, you can go back to your quarters but you will be on complete bed rest for two days, and then light duty for another week. Does that make sense?" Her face lit up, and Chakotay was quick to pull her into a loose bear hug, and she knew that this whole thing did indeed bring the couple closer together.

The End