Future's End Part 1

"Well, well, well! And who are you?" Starling asked when he found the two commanding officer's rummaging through his office. She stood away from the computer and said "I am Captain Kathryn Janeway of the Federation Starship Voyager, and this is my first officer Commander Chakotay." The assistant held up a 29th century weapon, and motioned for both of them to step away from the desk. Chakotay moved his hand to the small of her back, as if to tell her 'Please do what he says, I don't want you to get hurt.' She agreed and followed him towards the entrance. Starling took his place back at his computer and saw that they had gotten access to all his plans and schematics. Anger roared through him, as he nodded to his assistant then looked towards Janeway. His assistant raised the gun and fired. They watched as the shot hit its target.

Janeway was hit in the side. She fell to the ground conscious and in pain. Chakotay knelt down next to her; immediately pressing a piece of cloth against it. "Come on! Stay with me. Alright let's get you up." He told her, while getting in position to help her get back on her feet. Once she was up he was quick to wrap his arms around her tiny waist. "Starling!.. you don't know what you're doing...This technology is beyond your time...Please, don't do what you're planning to do..." She tried to speak with as much of her command tone as she could, but all she heard was the pain in her voice. Starling stood back up and said " I can't do that, but I do wish to know why the two of you seem so 'friendly' with each other? Aren't you his commanding officer?" Chakotay could feel that she was getting weaker and weaker, and looked down at her. Neither had answered, and watched with a careful eye when Starling picked up a little grey remote. More time had passed and still neither of the Command team had answered his questions, so he dramatically pressed a button.

Suddenly Janeway shuddered as she felt an energy surge move through her entire body. Chakotay tightened his grasp, so he could keep her on her feet. "What you just felt, Captain, is the lowest setting. If either of you don't start answering my questions it will only be worse for her." He stopped right in front of them and continued "Now, why do you appear to be more than just crewmates?" Chakotay turned his head towards Kathryn; she gave him a slight nod, so he reluctantly answered Sterling by telling him: "We are husband and wife. A little of a year now." Sterling and his assistant burst out laughing, and yet again pressed the button.

Chakotay could hear her whimpering, and felt her going limp in his arms. "STOP!! It's the truth. We haven't angered you, or lied. Why?" Chakotay asked him angrily. "Because it seems highly unlikely that she would marry one of her subordinates." Starling told him while moving to talk with his assistant. The two commanding officers felt the familiar sensation of the transporters, and were thankful to be going back to Voyager. Chakotay tightened his grip on his wife, who had dropped down to her knees after the last shock wore off. Starling turned back to them just as he saw the blue shimmer of light trying to take them away. He yelled out "NO!" and pressed a few small buttons on the remote before pressing the big red one.

Just as Chakotay vanished, Kathryn fell onto her back unconscious. The assistant rushed to make sure she was alive and called out "What did you do? She's dying!" Starling chuckled and said "I set it to lethal." He managed to access Voyagers databases and found the EMH. "Ah, maybe this will be able to make sure that she doesn't die on my floor." Within seconds the Doctor appeared asking "Where am I? Why have you taken me from Voyager?" Starling and his assistant both started pointing towards the Captain. He looked to see her laying on her back with blood pooling out around her.

The Doctor rushed towards her, but Starling stopped him by saying "I need you to make sure she doesn't die here, and can walk in a moment's notice." The assistant handed him a 20th century first aid kit and continued to tell the Doctor "This is all the medical supplies that we have, so make the most of it." The doctor yanked it out of his hands and was quick to begin assessing the Captain. He searched for a pulse, and managed to find it there but terribly weak, before trying to wake her. Nothing was working, so he turned back to look through the first aid kit, hoping to find something useful, which wasn't likely. He was starting to understand better that 20th century medical practices were not sophisticated.