07| fine dining

BRIAR WAS STRUGGLING to keep her eyes open as she sat in her business management lecture

BRIAR WAS STRUGGLING to keep her eyes open as she sat in her business management lecture. Her professor, Margaret Hounsell, was blabbering on about the different ways to manage a business. Briar had no interest what so ever in the business world. She just wanted to dance.

After Mrs Allen had asked Briar to play the Sugar Plum Fairy for their Christmas showcase, she walked all the way with a big stupid grin on her face. That night, she dreamt about rehearsals and the costume she would get to wear, how delicately she would dance to the music. It's fair to say that it was the best dream Briar had ever had.

Professor Hounsell dismissed the class and Briar gathered her things and made her way off campus and towards Daydreamer Café. Her phone blaring her mother's ringtone made her jump in surprise slightly as she fumbled with her phone.

"Hello mother, how are you?" Briar politely asked her mother over the phone.

"Hello darling, I was just calling to let you know that you have a date next Friday evening at his house," Anastasia Addison rushed through the phone in a stressed tone. "He attends the same university as you sweetie, his name is right at the top of my tongue." Anastasia thought for a moment or two as Briar let this new information sink in. Her mother gasped in realisation as she finally remembered the boy's name.

"George Henderson! He attended Berkshire Boarding School did you know?" Anastasia gushed through the phone as Briar's eyes widened at her date's name.

Could it be the same George Henderson? Briar thought as she approached the Daydreamer Café.

"And he is from an extremely well known wealthy family!" Anastasia couldn't help but gush to her daughter about his wealth and status.

"That is lovely mother, but why do I have to go on a date with him?" Briar asked quietly as she felt the familiar burning behind her eyes. Tears of frustration.

"Because he is of good wealth and an impeccable suitor for you darling," Anastasia stated as if it were obvious. "Plus, your father was pleased with George and actually gave him his blessing to marry you someday." Anastasia laughed as if it were a joke but Briar couldn't find any humour in her tone of voice simply because she knew that it wasn't a joke at all. It was reality.

"Father's marrying me off?" Briar spluttered out as her breathing halted for a second. "He's actually giving me away?" Briar spat angrily down the phone.

Anastasia gasped in surprise at her daughters tone and instantly scolded her for speaking to her in such a way. Briar mumbled an apology before the first tear fell down her rosy cheek.

"Your father and I just want what is best for you Briar Addison! This George figure is a man of wealth, high status, and a passionate drive for business. He is the perfect man you intend to marry," Anastasia spoke sternly through the phone as Briar pouted and closed her eyes to take a deep breath in. "You are also of age, but nothing has been set yet dear so no need to fret." Anastasia dismissed quickly before claiming she had a meeting to attend.