Chapter Four.

Apparently my orders of order everything for breakfast was misunderstood. I had planned on it being all for me, but everyone helped themselves to the almost buffet worthy variety of food spread out on the small dining table by the window. The upside of this was my story time was forgotten and while we ate, we only talked about what we'd been up to. Jordan seemed more than keen than sticking around to check out what this beautiful place had to offer and even my parents seemed a little green as Logan and I told them about a seafood banquet we'd gone to last week on the beach.

Unfortunately, our brunch couldn't last forever and as Dad leaned back in his chair with his cup now empty of coffee, I knew what was coming.

"Excuse me, I need the bathroom." I lied, standing up before trying to subtly head towards my room.

"Stop." Dad ordered. "Sit."

I hesitated. "But-"

"No. Sit down and start talking." Crossing his arms over his chest only made him look more intimidating and clearly working with classes of bratty kids day in and out had left him with a new level of authority in his tone.

I did as he asked.

"Talk about what?" I smiled. No one said anything, just stared and waited. "Oh, the mermaid thing. Right."

Well this was going to be easy. I started right at the beginning, further back than I probably needed to and told them about the job Ailin had given Logan and to an extent me, including how we received the notice officially through the Network that links all of us to the Council. I hadn't really used it much since I got my access reinstated by Ron, our now deceased President earlier in the year and made sure they knew all about that and him giving it back to me.

"Enough, don't think I don't know what you're doing!" Dad huffed, while Jordan rested his head on his hand and loudly yawned.

"You wanted the story, I'm making sure you have all the facts!" I argued.

Logan shook his head and took a sip of his coffee, while Mum failed at hiding her smile and amusement.

"You don't think I know you well enough to know when you're avoiding something?" He raised his eyebrow; something I hadn't seen him do a lot.

"Whatever. So as I was saying, we ended up going diving."

"We? As in you and Logan?" Jordan jumped in.

Logan tensed.

"No, he made me wait on board the boat. Remember, I'm a delicate flower who can't seem capable of-"

"You didn't mention a boat." Dad added.

"Was it really necessary to do that? You just had a go at me for telling you too much!"

"Fine, you were on a boat and Logan went diving." Mum sighed, motioning at me to keep going.

"Exactly." I kept talking and lying and talking some more, making sure I really was careful about what words I chose since apparently they were all caught on my every word and paying attention. "So I wake up because I can hear this, singing, and because Logan's been doing all the hard stuff, he was exhausted and sound asleep so I left him alone to investigate. I got the hunting knife though, just in case and went and checked our room. Then Ceana, hey, do you think that's like oceana? What ever, so I head over and she stops singing."

"Why didn't you wake up Logan?" Jordan asked.

"I told you, he was sound asleep. I was planning on making some noise to wake up him if shit got bad." I shrug.

"Right. You wouldn't be trying to play the hero so we'd all think you were better would you?"

Meeting Jordans gaze, we both glared at each other for a moment.