20th August 2012

"Do you have a pen?"

"No."

"iPad?"

"Elise, you're in limbo. There are no iPad's, no pens, paper, rocks or scissors."

"Pencil?"

"No."

"Okay, well want to talk more about how you sacrificed your own daughter in hopes I'd never be born?"

A pen and small notepad appeared beside me. "Thanks."

"You can't take it with you, why do you even want it?" Alistair asked, rubbing his eyes as he yawned.

"Dear Bob." I started, writing in big loopy letters. "Apparently when you want to die, you can't and when you're not so keen, some people are all, you deserve the break, come on into the light."

"What are you doing?" He groaned.

"I write better when I talk as I do it." Smiling up at him from where I sat on the floor so I could stare at the door to freedom, that some jerk kept just out of my reach. "It seems a little unfair to me. I mean, this loser set up a treaty to keep world peace among the supernatural. What did I do? Oh I dunno... just stop two, maybe even three apocalypses, insert bracket here, cause we really have no idea how this Power thing could have gone, close bracket here, from occurring. Don't see a stupid treaty doing that do ya? Oh and the magic behind it... yup, all because of yours truly doing a time jump and making sure that-"

"Enough!" Alistair snapped.

"What?"

"You're being-"

"Obnoxious? Passive aggressive? A pain in the ass? Truthful?" I answered quickly.

"You are a Bunting through and through aren't you?"

"Thank Portia for that. Without her meddling, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

"I just don't think you're ready. Last time I was for it because I had an idea of what was to come-"

"Cheers for the heads up, because I had no fucking clue." I mumble, but he ignores it.

"But I was wrong, just as you are now. There will be tough times, there will be good times. It's life. Don't take the easy way out. You're better than that."

"I've died twice. Nearly three times, if not more. I have been stabbed, fed on by a vampire, knocked out, kidnapped, strangled and live with the guilt that my friends have died because of me. The only reason why I exist, is because an Oracle saw me doing something with all of this and made sure a family curse was lifted. Since some other species of supernatural dickheads worked out I was that person, they have threatened my family, friends, the existence of my world and the innocent civilians who live there. They tried everything to break me, so Cain wouldn't get back to his home realm. Plus I fell in love with a guy who doesn't even exist, because he was just a Power in disguise. I'm pretty sure I am now part of the Three Fates, I just got killed by a mythical being called Cronus, which kind of sounds like crow anus so not my finest moment. ."

"I guess they did it then." Alistair frowned as I paused to take a breath. With that, he turned and started to walk towards the one portal I wanted to go into.

"Did what?"

"Break you. They won, it's over. Come on sweet heart." The door was right there and he paused as he stood in the middle of it. "You tried your best Elise. That's enough."

I got up and moved after him, knowing exactly what he was doing. "It's not going to work."

"What's that?" He asked confused.

"Reverse psychology. Oldest trick in the book."

Alistair came closer and gave me a hug. "We're all so proud of you. Come on."

He disappeared and yet my feet were glued to the spot. Go, now, this was it. I can leave it all behind and move on. All I had to do was go through that doorway...

Only I didn't.