Chapter Sixteen

Huntington has new chairs. It's the first thing I notice going into her office and after a quick look around, it's not the only thing that has changed. She has a new desk too, curtains and a brightly coloured rug. It's all very modern, so different to the dated room I'm used to. Then again, as she looks up at me, she is looking - younger. Her face is free of those laugh lines around her eyes, the stress on her forehead has been reduced too. She either decided to join Team Botox or isn't hiding behind her sweet old headmistress act like she used to.

"What now?" She sighs, clearly unimpressed by my arrival.

So much for the days when I was a welcomed sight.

"Hello to you too." I smile, sitting in one of the new chairs opposite her. Gone is the comfy, soft leather and I have no choice other than sitting up straight.

Huntington puts down her pen, pushing the papers in front of her to the side. She smiles, though it's more of a grimace; like the whole act of being nice to me pains her.

"It's been a long day, why are you here Elise?" She sighs in early defeat.

"Can't I come and see my favorite headmistress?"

"No, because you never just come to see me. You're usually in trouble, wanting something or if last time was anything to go by, attempting to threaten me."

"You know me so well." I produce the dagger, sitting it between us on the desk.

"Where did you get that?"

I've definitely hit a nerve. "Not important."

"Yes, it's very important!" Huntington snaps back, boldly reaching out to pick it up. She holds it with two hands, like it's made from glass and could shatter at any second. Her eyes shoot to me before focusing solely on the blade. "You don't just find these lying around!"

I had the sword leaning against my leg and unsheathe it, putting it where the dagger had been seconds earlier. In the leather casing, it's just another weapon, but now, she knows better.

"Cain gave you these, why?" She demanded, dropping the dagger in front of her with a heavy clunk.

"He didn't!" I tell her, before deciding that actually wasn't true. "Well, not that one anyway."

"These are not toys Hunter, do you know-"

"That that's Apollo's dagger, yes. And that this is Sobek-Ra's sword. The same sword I used to kill him with."

"So why are you here today Elise. Are you after information or here to threaten me?"

Huntington sits back, folding her arms over her chest as she glares my way. She may have had a point about the reasons why I visit her and I shift in the chair, unable to get comfortable in it. Maybe that was why she decided to update her furniture.