18th August 2012

18.08.2012
BUNTING, Victor
————————

I woke up this morning and felt old. My back hurts, my knee aches and once I managed to get to the bathroom, I had to take five multi-colored pills to not only ease the pains of my abused body, but to make sure my blood pressure stays in a normal range and I forgot why I take the green one. No matter who or what you may be, there is no avoiding old age once it catches up to you.

The man in the mirror is someone I don't reconise sometimes. I remember each scar that appears on my face; the faint line that disappears into my beard from when a vampires nail scratched my cheek. The ridge in my eyebrow from head butting a horned demon, which was not the best idea- and of course my nose has never been quite the same since I broke it that third time. Yet these are all memories of a younger man and seem to have no place on who I am now.

Respected teacher.

Renowned Hunter.

Father.

When we first had Jordan, it was a surprise. He was a good baby, and the first time he was threatened as a two year old, the kid fought back and managed to poke a werewolf in the eye. I'd never been prouder. Then we were fortunate enough to have another, our Elise and nothing in this world terrified me as much as seeing my baby girl for the first time.

We don't have girls in our family. I had a son and knew what to do with him. Jordan loved her the second they met, and propped up with pillows that were bigger than the pair of them, he patiently sat still and was so careful with her. That boy who was already so unafraid of our world and what we did, showed such love and tenderness with the new baby it made their mother cry.

They are special kids.

They are amazing kids.

Sometimes when I watch them together; his ever present protective big brother eyes always on her, I don't feel so old. They give me a reason to keep going when my body says no. They give me the strength to be strong for them. Apparently Gods are real. I don't know which of them I have to thank for my family, but I hope they are aware of how blessed they have made me.

Yet I don't know if it's my instincts as a parent or as a Hunter, but something is wrong with my children. Jordan and CJ are planning on heading out, picking up work from the Council now the training idea Elise came up with has run its course. She's off trying to find Logan, on her own undoubtedly though her demons have now gone too. It's easier for me when she has them with her; they will protect her better than I ever could. I don't mean to be so hard on her, maybe that's why she always feels like she has to do things alone - to prove to me she is capable. After we lost her, I vowed to make sure she knew how much we all did love her. I eased up on the pressure, trusted her more. We raised a good kid, two in fact - but I regret giving her that freedom now.

Oh, that's right. The green pill is for my ulcer and since she's left - it's back. I want my daughter to come home. Something bad is coming, if it's not already here and I fear for her. She's been through so much already, and for all that she is, underneath it all I still see my scared little girl who was terrified of the monsters under her bed Jordan would tease her about. The monsters are real now, but I'm not there now to make them go away and keep her safe.

Please come home Elise, even if it's just to call me old man and steal my chocolate I keep hidden from your mother. I've fought unimaginable demons, I don't care about cholesterol or all that other nonsense! What I do care about is my trouble finding daughter and her often hotheaded brother doing something stupid that could get them killed... And I'm too old and powerless to stop it.