Chapter Six.

Annipe’s head is on my shoulder, well, on the sofa behind me but her snorts of breaths are soft against my cheek. Alfies head is being used as a book rest as the bulk of it covers my body. He isn’t really resting on me though, he’d be a whole lot heavier if he was, but he likes to be close and I like him there too. His body is curled around the three seater and Anni is sprawled over him like a scarf would be tied around your neck.

My ipad is beside me on Alfie, and so is a small bottle of cola; mine - not his. Mum appears first, curiously looking us over as if she had seen my frantic movements of hiding what I was doing. She’s almost like Logan; nosey. Curious. Worse than Logan, as much as he wants too, he leaves the iPad hacking alone. If she had a clue about that kind of thing, I’m sure she would be all over it the second I turn my back.

“How are you feeling today honey?” She passes a kiss on the top of my head, and pats Annipe as she leans back.

“I’m fine, seriously!” I groan.

“Looking rather, at home there.” Dad joins in, coming over with a beer in his hand. “Zane been taking it easy on you?”

No. “Yeah, he knows the rules.”

Rules I begged him to break. This morning I lasted two hours; I’m getting better. Tonight he said he might get me to up against one of the last years in a bit of sparring. I’m praying he doesn’t change his mind.

“Good. I know you’re feeling better, but too much too soon could set you back in your recovery.” He warns.

I roll my eyes.

“What are you reading?” Dad changes the subject and sits in the reading chair to my left. Annipe turns to look at him, her tongue flicking out curiously before she settles back against my side. Since Raya’s visit, she’s developed a bit of a hair fetish. Weird.

“If I told you, you wouldn’t believe me.”

“It looks old.”

“It is.”

Mum is fussing about in the kitchen and I can feel Dad watching me. Since I told them about AIlin’s visit, things have calmed down and I feel a tad guilty since I was really hoping Mum would have made more of those brownies. After a few minutes, I’ve read the same two sentences four times and turn to look at Dad.

“Dad, did you ever hear any stories about the whole Treaty thing from your parents or grandparents? I know we have access to Alistairs journals, but do you any rumours or anything that aren’t in there? Family secrets?”

“Sorry pumpkin, I never knew my grandparents and mine never said too much about it. Nothing that I really remember. Why? What are you thinking?” He asks, genuinely interested.

What can I tell him?

Everything?

I want to, but I’m scared if I do say too much there will be some kind of repercussions from it. Maybe once I know more I can and until then, I shrug. “Just interested. I’ve had a lot of time to sit and think, so may as well make the most of it you know?”

“Good idea.” He looks like he is about to say more when there is a knock on the door and he moves off to answer. Annipe is gone, instantly following him. “Zane, come in!”

Annipe harasses him the whole way down the corridor and into the living area, before Mum takes over and plays hostess by bombarding him with a million questions. Are you thirsty, hungry - want to stay for dinner?

“Thank you Mrs. Bunting, but I just need a sec with Elise.” He offers her a genuine smile and is so used to her fussing now it doesn’t seem to bother him at all. “Hey kid.”