Chapter Seventeen

Huntington sat quietly at her desk, typing away and doing things a very dedicated headmistress does at eleven o'clock at night. Well, that could mostly be because her star pupil had asked her to set up a meeting with a god because surprise, surprise - he was no where to be found when I wanted him.

"Just for the record, I don't like your plan." She briefly glanced my way, before going back to her laptop.

"Want to suggest something else to get him talking then?"

I was actually hoping she did, but the sigh she gave a second later didn't boot my confidence.

"No. He'll only ever tell you what he wants you to know. Threatening him is a risk on your behalf." Huntington sighed again.

"Guess we'll find out soon enough." I mumbled, rubbing my finger along the blade of Apollo's dagger.

It wasn't a great plan. It wasn't even a good one, but it's all I could come up with right now. I didn't think it would end as badly as she thought it could, because as far as my relationship with Cain was concerned, I had immunity. That could be rather stupid on my behalf, but everything kept pointing back to the fact he needs me. Then again, if it did go bad, Jordan and the others would probably be thrilled since they want Cain dead. I didn't really care about what they all wanted. Maybe telling them could have been a mistake, and I tried to ignore the niggling voice in the back of my mind telling me just that. What ever.

"What do you-" Cain appeared out of thin air in front of Huntington's desk, pausing as she instantly pointed over to me. She really wasn't going to be much help with this at all.

Slowly Cain turned, his eyebrows rising slightly as I stood from the chair and boldly raised my sword to his throat. His eyes darted down to the blade, before meeting mine and a tiny smile appeared.

"Should've known." He half laughed, folding his arms over his chest like this was no big deal. 'What do you, want Hunter?"

Alfie moved restlessly behind me and I made sure to hold Cain's gaze. In some ways, it was like dealing with a shifter; they hated that whole eye contact stare down thing thanks to their stupid dominance issues, and I wasn't going to be the one to look away first.

"Why didn't you help when Selene was doing her portal thing?" I demanded, proud of how strong I sounded considering what was really going on in my mind. "You stepped up against the Warlocks. So many lives could have been saved if you had; not just the lives of the people you created, but the normal people who fell victim to those creatures that escaped the portal! I've been thinking about this. A lot!"

"Who said I didn't help?" He shot back sarcastically. "You want to lower that before you hurt yourself."

"Just, answer me! I've had enough of this; your stupid half answers and never knowing anything!" I yelled, and regretted it.

I had to stay calm and in control, and I wasn't feeling either of things any more. It was like a switch had been flicked and now a meltdown was on the horizon. Sensing that, Alfie hissed behind me, rising up so he was glaring down at Cain. I didn't have the willpower to tell him to calm down.