21st June 2012

Opening her eyes, Portia squealed in surprise at the bearded face that stared down at her from across the desk. The vision had taken over, blocking her senses for the few seconds he needed to arrive undetected. Having him turn up now of all times was more than bad timing and she had never successfully lied about any of her visions; Cain always seemed to know. It was a lesson she had learnt the hard way, centuries earlier - yet the mark could still be seen on her stomach from where he had threatened to gut her.

"What did you see." It wasn't a question.

Cain didn't blink as Portia stood, her true form appearing as she met his gaze. Full, red lips twisted at each corner as whatever she had seen clearly amused her. Too bad he wasn't in the mood for playing games.

"Tell me." He growled.

"Your Hunter is plotting, again!" The Oracle teased, boldly vanishing from the room before he could question her further. What she didn't expect was for him to be able to follow her and as the rough, calloused hand tightened around her throat, Portia was reminded of her place.

"I keep you here for one reason only, do not forget that you serve me!" He yelled, his face so close she could feel the heat of his breath against her skin. "I've been lenient for too long, tell me now!"

"I-I-can't, breath!" Portia gasped, yet his grip didn't weaken. "The Hunter, she, she will come to you. I saw, at the bar."

Ever so slowly, Cain let her go and never had Portia missed the freedom to breath as she did in that moment.

"I'm waiting."

"She is going to ask you for something and you do not like it." There, that hint of amusement was back.

"What, what is it she wants?" Cain pushed, growing impatient as Portia rubbed her throat where the angry red marks from his hand remained. "How does it end?"

"I don't know, I didn't get to hear what she was saying!" She snapped, not impressed with his attitude, yet seeing Elise annoy him gave way to something more serious she hadn't the time to dissect as she would normally have time to do. "But you agreed. You do as she wants, as you always do. Your weak where she is involved and they know this. I felt them watching."

Cain ignored what Portia was implying. "So if I disagree, tell her no?"

With the question asked, the vision returned and Portia no longer sought to toy with her master. What joy she had from Elise's relentless pursuit to get what she wanted vanished and Cain felt the change instantly. When she blinked and looked at him once more, he almost didn't want to hear what she now had to say - especially as a single tear ran down her pale face.

"She will die, and you will not be able to bring her back."

"What of me?"

Portia took a few breath before answering. "The only one you have to fear is her."

Neither of them knew if the outcome of that was a blessing or a curse.

________________

A/N: Felt like mixing it up a little bit. Hope you don't mind :)