Chapter Twenty-Eight

Taking a seat on the cool, soft leather I swung my legs over the armrest and adjusted the cushion under my head. The office was fairly dark with only the soft white glow of the computer screen and a small desk lamp offering light; I could sleep here. Taking a chance, I closed my eyes and took a long, deep breath.

"So, I've been thinking," I started slowly, pausing to see if there would be some kind of reaction to that statement. Nothing came. "And that's the problem. I think. A lot. I just, I need help. For once in my life, I want, no I need to be told what to do."

Opening my eyes, I looked over towards the desk and for a second I thought I was alone until she spoke.

"I can't tell you what to do, Hunter." Ailin told me softly, moving from her place behind the computer to come and sit beside my legs. "Even if I did, would you really listen or still just do the opposite?"

There was something teasing about her tone now, and it wasn't what I wanted or needed.

"I would listen. Ailin, I can't do this. I can't ."

"Do what exactly?"

"This!" I sighed dramatically and threw my arm over my eyes. "All of it. Life. Fighting. Being responsible for, everything!"

"What is everything?" Her calm, steady tone made me want to strangle her.

"Where do I begin. There is all this god stuff going on, I can't find the stupid gateway to their world. This stupid mark is filling in, look at this, the moon is nearly full! I nearly got a whole coven of dark fae killed. One of my best friends is pregnant and come on, do I need to elaborate more with that one?" I sighed again and looked over at her. "I'm always scared someone else is going to come along and take away my family. Am I picking the right side? Should I kill Cain, is unleashing him in his realm the best thing for everyone?"

"Your parents sent you to me to talk to, as a friend. You trust me, and after the events last time you were to meet with a councilor, I agreed as I too am worried about you, especially after your friends murder. Did you want to talk about that?"

"No."

"Then I guess we have an hour of staring at each other in silence ahead of us." She sighed.

"Can't you just give me some advice, like the kind you should embroider onto a cushion. You're good at that. Then tell me what I should do now in an inspiring and motivational way that gets me back on my feet, ready to kick some ass?"

"No." Ailin answers as stubbornly as I had snapped the same word at her. "You've heard that all before. You've been in this position before. It's never going to get easier Elise, you should know that too."

I sit up, and nod. "See, that's what I'm talking about. I need more of that."

Rolling her eyes, Ailin reached over and pushes my shoulder so I lay back down again as she lets out a big sigh.

"I want to try something with you, if you are serious about actually listening to me. The council seem to think that now I am their president, I should be tortured with PD and leadership courses." Her dislike of this is clear. "I think they forget I have been a leader of my kind longer than they have been alive, and am more than capable without mastering the ten techniques to excellent customer service."

"I dunno about that, your customer service sometimes needs improving." Ailin only glares at me, so I sarcastically continue. "I mean, your kidnapping techniques are much better and holding people hostage. I'd give you an eight out of ten for that."

"Did you want my help or not?"

"Yes." I tell her.

"Well, since you've already made yourself comfortable on my lounge, I just want you to breath. In and out, nice and slow." Ailin put a hand on my leg and breathed loudly, looking at me as she waited for me to join in and I did. "Close your eyes and focus only on my voice."