Chapter Thirty

It was Jordan who made me stop screaming, CJ who took my hands to stop me digging; the pair were soon helped by Dad who ended up holding me against him as I couldn't remember how to stop crying. The next time I blinked, we were back at the house and it was Raya who fussed about in the kitchen, putting a glass of bourbon in front of me as Penny washed the dirt from my hands and Mum gently patted my back. I could hear Zane, V and Ailin talking in the lounge room. Cain's presence was everywhere and once Penny it was done, it was Artemis who held my shaking hands steady and forced me to take a drink.

I couldn't taste it.

There was no burn of the alcohol as I swallowed.

"This will help calm her. Put her to bed and be there for her in the morning when she wakes." Artemis told Mum.

"Wait I-" I tried to say, yet the words got stuck in my throat.

The next time I blinked, morning light poured in through the window of my bedroom and I found Cain sitting on the edge of my bed. The night was hazy, but one thing that was crystal clear was those bastards had taken Logan and they would pay for that. Unable to stop my yawn, he was soon aware that I was awake. He didn't say anything for a few moments and I rolled onto my side to look at him better. Alfie's head was beside me, Annipe next to him and I lazily dropped a hand over to pat them.

"Before you say anything-" Cain started.

"I already don't care. I'm going to get him back Cain."

"I know and I will do everything I can to help you." He promised and I waited for the but that would surely follow. "But, we need to be smart about this. Who knows what they have waiting on the other side."

"I'm not stupid. This was clearly done on purpose. I need to shower, get everyone ready."

Cain hesitated. "Demons come with me. I don't want you to disappear in the meantime."

Rolling my eyes, I nodded at the duo and I was soon left alone to get ready. Yet once I was, I couldn't go and face everyone.  As I neared the backdoor, I stopped to instead hide in the shadow of the curtains and wondered how long I could stay there for. This was real. It wasn't a trick or a vision that some deranged asshole was trying to use against me. Logan is missing and I thought I knew the fear of not knowing where someone was. My brother had been gone for months, but it had been different. He traveled a lot already, and more importantly, I had no idea of what kind of monsters really existed. 

I do now and they have Logan.

It was then Zane walked in and I stayed sitting on the floor as he went by, heading towards my room. He paused before reaching the corridor and turned, his eyes instantly finding mine. He looked different today; bigger, scarier and yet he smiled. 

"You okay there Sunshine?" He came back over and casually sat on the floor in front of me.

"I can do this, can't I?"

"If anyone can, it's you."

"What makes you so sure?" I ask.

Zane shifted his position slightly, and moved to sit beside me. One heavy arm was dropped over my shoulders and as I hugged him, praying I could control my tears this time, he let out a big sigh. 

"Because you, Miss Bunting, are the most infuriating human being I have ever come across. When we first met, I thought you were just some spoiled brat. Remember that? You've got fight in you kid, you've been pushed down a hundred times and yet you still get back up. This, all of this,  will become a memory that maybe we could even laugh about  given enough time like we do about when I helped idiot brains hold you hostage."