twenty seven

AUGUST 17, 1991. NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK.

Finally, the day has come for Evie's internship at Rolling Stone. As she walks through the doors of the head offices she allows herself a small yet proud smile. She can't believe that this is her life, she feels like she's living out a fantasy she's dreamt of for years. Evie approaches the front desk and speaks to the receptionist who tells her which floor to go to and who to speak to.

As she gets in the elevator another guy who doesn't look much older than her is also stepping in.

"Where are you headed?" He asks, putting in the floor numbers.

"Oh, ninth floor, thanks," she says, grasping onto the canvas bag slung over her shoulder trying to breathe through the nerves. The only thing bringing Evie ease and comfort is the knowledge that there will be nine other interns as well, at least she's not in this alone.

"Are you here for the summer internship?" The boy in the elevator asks and now she takes a good look at him. He's pretty tall and seems to have a friendly nature. His brown curls are sitting around his face, shaggy and long making him look like he walked straight out of the 70s. She wonders for a moment if he too is going for the internship or if he is already an established Rolling Stone worker.

"Yeah, I am. You too?" She asks and he smiles.

"Yeah. I'm glad I'm not walking in alone," he says and she can't help but smile back at him.

"Cool, me too," she says before the elevator doors allow them to step out onto the ninth floor. Here they speak to another woman at a desk who walks them to somewhat of a meeting room with some other people.

The six others in the room turn to Evie and the guy who remains unnamed expectantly with smiles, she places them as the other interns. Five guys and one other girl. They both take seats next to each other at the table and introduce themselves.

Finally, they turn to each other, "I'm Henry Beaumont," he says.

"Henry. I'm Evie Kelly," she tells him, shaking his hand.

"Evie, nice to meet you."

"You too," she smiles, dropping her hand.

The final two enter, another girl and guy, then David Fricke comes into the room to welcome them all and explain what the next few weeks will consist of. They get a tour of the offices and then are paired up and placed with a Rolling Stone worker into different areas of the office.

Looking at a sheet of paper David scans the names and assigns people to their partners and for a moment Evie feels as if she's back in Middle School again the way she's being placed in a pair.

"Evie and Henry you'll be with James Henke in writing," David says, flashing Evie a quick, warm smile at recognition of her name.

Her and Henry, already standing next to each other turn to face each other.

"Hey," Henry smiles and he has one of those smiles which you can't help but smile back at.

"Hi," Evie grins.

"So off to writing then?" Henry says.

"I guess so," Evie nods.

They walk over towards the area of the office where they're to find James Henke and they make some small talk.

"So, you from Seattle?" Henry asks.

"Yeah, how'd you know?" Evie asks with wide eyes.

"Oh, I just figured because your bag," he points towards her canvas bag still sitting under her arm with the touristy 'SEATTLE, WA' print on it.