eleven

JANUARY 6 1991. OLYMPIA, WASHINGTON

AS EVIE steps under the warm cascade of her shower head she resorts to one of her self-taught coping mechanisms, crying and letting her tears disappear down the drain, letting go of those problems. The rest of last night went alright once she came down from her high and was able to unwind a bit more, which seems a bit backwards seeing as the point of smoking in the first place was to help her relax. She spent the rest of her night with Dave by her side, and that was enough to ease her mind of the incident with Nick.

A little bit later in the morning Ruby calls the house to check in on Evie. As she sits on the kitchen counter, dangling her legs over the edge with the phone pressed tightly against her ear, she assures Ruby she's doing fine. Much better than the state she was in last night. She knows that Nick's words were purely intended to hurt her and she shouldn't dwell on them. He said it all out of anger and she shouldn't take it for how he truly feels. If he does still love her like he claims he does, he couldn't really think those things of her. Could he?

"Did you talk to Dave yet?" Ruby asks softly.

"Not yet. Not about Nick. I'm going to see him soon," Evie informs Ruby of her pre-established plans she had made with Dave last night.

"I think he should know what happened Eves," Ruby says.

"Yeah, I know," Evie admits even though she can't predict what his reaction will be like.

"Good luck with it. Let me know what happens," Ruby tells her and Evie thanks her and promises she will before hanging the phone up on the hook.

Oliver is the only one home since John and Mia are both out of the house. John at work and Mia at Luke's. But Oliver is still in bed hungover by the time Evie leaves to go to Dave's place, so she leaves quietly. On her drive to Dave's she thinks of how she could possibly explain to him what exactly happened last night without seeming like an emotionally unstable wreck, even though that's what she feels she is. She decides she will just tell him quickly so that he hopefully doesn't think much of it. She's fine now anyway, it was just the wrong circumstances last night that got her so emotional and worked up.

"Hey," Kurt smiles as he opens the door, allowing Evie into the house.

"Hi Kurt," Evie says giving him a quick hug hello. Kurt isn't at all an outwardly affectionate person, but Evie is and so he's become accustomed to her warm greetings.

"How was your brother's birthday?" Kurt asks.

"It was good, he had a great time," Evie sticks a smile on her face, recalling images of Ollie bouncing around the yard between all the people he loves.

"That's good to hear," Kurt smiles, "Uh, Dave's just in his room," he informs her as he slinks into the couch, picking up the guitar by his feet and she nods, turning on her heel towards Dave's bedroom.

He's standing in front of his chest of drawers with his back to the door, pulling a striped long sleeve t-shirt over his head when she walks in.

"Hey," Evie says, since he hasn't noticed her presence.

"Hey! I didn't hear you come in," Dave says turning around sharply and walking over to give Evie a kiss hello.

"I just got here a minute ago," Evie informs him, before walking to sit on his bed as he glides around the room, crouching to pick clothes up off the floor and placing them into the laundry basket by his door.