ten

warning: use of the devil's lettuce in this chap. don't read if that makes you uncomfortable ! ✿  :)

JANUARY 4, 1991. OLYMPIA, WASHINGTON.

SINCE New Year's Eve, Evie has felt like she's been on a constant high. New Years has a way of making everyone feel like they have a fresh start and that there are endless possibilities for the year ahead. It feels good.

It's Oliver's birthday on January 5th, so he has decided to stick around in Olympia to spend it with his family and friends that he grew up with. They've decided to have people over at the Kelly's family home, and Oliver managed to enlist some of his friend's bands to play and was able to create a list of at least 40 people to invite over. Evie invited Dave at Oliver's suggestion and he was glad to receive the invitation, assuring Evie that he'd be there. And of course, Ruby and Josh are also invited as well as Mia's best friend Luke.

On the night of the fourth, the Kelly's have a dinner together to celebrate Oliver's birthday as a family. The psychedelic sounds of Funkadelic's Maggot Brain record sing throughout the house during their meal, echoing off the high ceilings. This record is representative of childhood for Evie. She has countless memories of dancing, wrapped up in her father's arms to the brilliant songs on the album.

The four of them relive these memories on this night, dancing around the living room while they keep moving the needle back to Can You Get to That, everyone's favourite song on the record. It's a purely happy night of celebrating Oliver.

They finish their night by eating one of Evie's carrot cakes which she baked earlier in the day. It's not until after midnight that everyone retires to bed, getting some rest before the big day tomorrow of Oliver's 22nd birthday.

As Evie lays her head on her pillow she thinks about the fact that she gets to see Dave tomorrow as well as Ruby and Josh. This thought is enough to peacefully send her into a long night of rest.

JANUARY 5, 1991. OLYMPIA, WASHINGTON.

"Eves. Evie. Evelyn," Mia's voice and hands shake Evie awake.

"Yeah, I'm up," Evie grumbles.

"Come down stairs before Ollie wakes up. We're setting up breakfast," Mia informs Evie.

Evie pulls herself out of bed and walks to her closet where she has Oliver's birthday present wrapped up. It's just The Breeders first record, which he has talked about wanting for a while and some rolls of his favourite film.

She walks down stairs and places them on the coffee table in the living room before walking through to the dining room where John and Mia are setting the table with plates and food.

"You guys should have woken me earlier, I would've helped cook," Evie says as she the pancakes and french toast catch her eye.

"It's okay. We were happy to do it, we thought you should get some sleep, you were up early cooking yesterday," John explains, wrapping an arm around her.

"You go wake Ollie up," Mia tells her and she nods, spinning on her steel and hopping up the stairs.

She pushes open the door to her brother's room who is still soundly sleeping.