twenty five

JULY 12, 1991. SEATTLE, WASHINGTON.

Getting to wake up next to Dave every morning is something Evie doesn't ever think she will ever tire from. Her favourite part of being in love is when you can still be completely head over heels about someone when they're not trying at all to impress you. Vulnerability, you could say, is Evie's weakness. Waking up and hearing Dave's groggy voice each day when he tells her good morning is exactly the way she'd like to start every day.

Sadly it isn't long before she has to pull herself out of bed, have a shower, eat some breakfast and begin the drive back to Olympia to do her weekly shift at the shop. Her dad cut down her shifts from three to just one on a Friday morning. The 10am-5pm shift. Josh got her other shifts. The time is the shop has become almost sacred to Evie, it's home, she grew up in there. 

On the drive into Olympia, Evie thoughts revolve around having to say goodbye to Dave again next month. It's becoming routine and though she feels she's gotten good at it, next month the boys are off to Europe which feels a whole lot different to the other times. The guys are playing a show in LA in the middle of August which will be the last time Evie gets to see Dave until the start of September. Partially she's sad, but mostly she's excited for them. They get to play their upcoming record all through Europe which she knows will create so much buzz around them. She's heard the songs. They're fucking amazing. 

She also thinks about the fact that next month she'll be in New York City for the Rolling Stone internship. The summer is passing her by and she can't believe how soon everything is happening. 

Upon arriving at work she does her little routine, lights on, bag behind the counter, turn on register, turn on turntable, light some incense and start the day. It's like muscle memory now. 

Customers move through the store all day, keeping Evie occupied while on shift by herself. It's 4 o'clock when John rings to check up on the shift, something he usually does just to see how whoever's working is going.

"It's been pretty busy," Evie tells him. 

"Cool kiddo, hey why don't you come home for dinner?" John offers.

"Yes please, I miss your cooking Dad," she says.

"Well I miss you. Close up early if you're quiet," he tells.

"Okay, thanks Dad. I'll see you soon then."

"See you soon."

With one customer in the following half an hour, Evie follows her father's instructions and closes up the store. She gives Dave a quick call to let him know she's going to have dinner at home and that she'll see him later. Then, she does her little routine in reverse; count till, turn of register, turn off turntable, grab bag, lights off, lock door and leave. 

Walking into the home she grew up in for the first time in a couple of weeks immediately puts a smile on Evie's face. She can smell her Dad's cooking and she practically skips down the hall to meet Mia and John in the kitchen.

"Hey," Evie greets them both with a hug. 

"I've missed you," Mia says.

"Missed you too Mim."

"Hey kiddo," John pulls his eldest daughter close to him, missing being able to hold her like she's a little girl. 

"Dinner smells good," Evie peers into the oven.

"It'll be ready in ten minutes if you two want to set the table," John tells them, which they do so.

Mia asks about Seattle and Dave. Evie asks about Luke and any other exciting things that have been happening back at home. The two girls really do miss each other and Evie decides she needs to make more time to come down to visit her little sister. She's becoming a fully fledged adult and Evie is missing it. 

Within minutes, dinner is served and they're eating in silence when John clears his throat, seemingly wanting to say something.

"Girls there is something I've been wanting to talk to you about," he says, taking on a serious tone.

Evie's hand lowers, resting on the table as she looks into her Dad's eyes and sees the anxiety written all over his face. 

"Dad?" Mia asks quietly, knowing something is wrong. 

"Now, before I tell you, I want you both to know that everything is going to be okay."

"Dad, what is it?" Evie presses, scared for whatever is about to come. 

"Well I haven't been too well. You know, coughing and whatnot. I've been to the doctors and they're telling me I've got cancer in my throat," he says. 

Evie's blood runs cold and she feels tears prick her eyes which she wills not to fall. She can't fall apart. She knows in this moment, she needs to be strong. For her Dad and for Mia. 

"How bad is it?" Mia croaks.

"It's not too bad. I'll be alright. Everything is fine for now and they say if it does develop I can always do chemotherapy. That's looking far into the future but. I don't want you two to worry your pretty little heads about your old man," John tells them. 

Evie takes a deep breath.

"You'll be fine Dad. I believe it. You've just got to be strong for us and you've got to give it your best fight. You'll come out the other end, I know you will," she tells her father. 

"I'm gonna give it my all kiddo." 

"I love you," Mia stands, to give her father a hug, Evie quickly following to hold the two of them. She notices the silent tears rolling down her sisters cheek and she softly wipes it away.

"I love you girls more than anything in this world. Everything I've done I've done for you," John tells them.

"We love you Dad," Evie says.

After dinner they move to the back deck where they each drink a cup of tea and talk. Conversations with her family on the back deck have got to some of Evie's most cherished memories. She takes into tonight even more so, noting that this might be one of those moments she looks back on in the years to come. 

Mia, John and Evie talk into the night, soaking up every minute that they have together. Evie decides against driving back to Seattle, she'd rather sit here with her family and spend a night at home. It's after midnight when Evie finally calls Dave to let him know she won't be coming back to the apartment. 

She decides not to tell Dave about her Dad, not yet. She's always been one to process things internally, on her own. Instead, they exchange I love you's and for a moment with her thoughts clouded by Dave, the anxiety about her father is dulled. However, as soon as she hangs up the phone the pain floods back in. And it hurts just like hell.