twenty one

MAY 17, 1991. OLYMPIA, WASHINGTON.

SINCE RETURNING HOME from the Virginia trip, Evie has done a lot of self-reflection and she is appreciating her friends and family in a brand-new way. Dave, Kurt and Krist have gone out to LA to record their record and so she has been left in a similar place to where she was before she met Dave, back in Olympia working at Riot Records and Society 90. It feels strangely euphoric to feel how she used to, like she was a little fish in the big ocean with no worries about anything at all. Being able to escape back to this feeling for a moment is freeing.

Sitting on the kitchen counter with the phone pressed against her cheek, she speaks to Dave on in the morning for about 20 minutes, he fills her in on he and Kurt's nightmare of a drive to LA with Kurt's shitty car that broke down every 20 minutes and the boy's night out on the 16th for Krist's birthday which sounded like a lot of fun. Evie wished she could've been there to celebrate with them, but she's happy enough to hear the stories relayed and simply imagine the chaos and fun which ensued.

The recordings sound to be going well, Dave tells that Butch Vig is great which Evie is well aware of considering he is a respected friend of her fathers. They've gotten down some pre-production a lot of the songs which none of the boys have done before. The excitement of the fresh new album seems to be high. Dave thinks they'll probably be in LA until sometime in the middle of June which Evie doesn't mind hearing. She's just overly excited for them to get this record done, they've been burning to get in the studio for months now and they deserve to spend as much time as necessary getting it perfect.

Evie's plans for the day are pretty simple, she's going into the Society 90 studio to work on some stuff and start putting together this month's zine for Benny. Then later in the afternoon she's going to pick up Ruby on her way home so that they can spend some time together. Evie feels like she hasn't spent as much times with her friends and family lately as she could have since she's mostly been in Seattle with Dave. So now, she's making up for lost time.

Unlocking the glass doors to the warehouse studio for the first time in weeks feels amazing. She's missed being in this creative space where she is free to work on her art and the magazine. All day she works away, listening to the radio and pasting down pieces of paper and sketching to create a rough draft of a zine.

Some friends and other creatives that use the space stop by throughout the day which makes Evie's time more exciting. She catches them up on what's going on in her life, telling them about her internship and most people ask about how Dave is, to which she explains the boys are in LA recording their album. Everyone is anticipating their album based of the songs they've already been playing at live shows in the past couple of months.

At 1 o'clock, Evie locks the doors and takes her lunch break, heading to a local cafe to grab some coffee and a blueberry muffin. Almost an exact repeat of the last time she was in this café, her ex-boyfriend Nick enters. What are the freaking chances?

"Nick," she says, waving hello.

"Evie, hey!" He says with a smile on his face.

Last time the two of them saw each other in this very location they civilly decided to be friends and apologised for the harm they'd caused each other. To be honest, Evie hadn't even thought about him much at all since then unless Oliver brought him up in passing conversation. She is surprised to see how happy and healthy he looks, he is almost resembling the way he seemed to her at 16.

She pulls him in for a quick, only slightly awkward hug.

"Here, sit with me," she offers him the seat across from her.