thirty four

NOVEMBER 14, 1991. OLYMPIA, WASHINGTON.

THE INCENSE IS burning, the records are spinning, and Evie is behind the counter with her customer service face on. It's been a little over a week since Dave left and it hasn't been any easier not having him around. She's been trying to push through the lonely nights in Seattle rather than escaping back home to Olympia. Evie is becoming more aware of the fact that she needs to become fully comfortable with the fact that she and Dave are operating in a practically long-distance relationship now.

The bell rings on the door, signalling another customer. Evie looks to see the faces of Ruby and Josh. She's not sure if it's in her head, but they both seem to eye her with a distant look of unfamiliarity. It's been way too long since she saw them both.

"Hey," Evie says.

She can feel envy resting in her heart as she looks at the smiles on their faces and their hands which are clasped together.

"Hi," they say together, nearly in harmony.

They make their way around the counter and Evie gives them both a hug hello. They can feel the numbness that is exuding from her. She is nowhere near her usual, loving, vibrant self, and is struggling to find the strength to turn it on for people, even if it's just a façade.

"How are you guys," Evie asks, she smiles but her eyes hold no real feeling of happiness.

Ruby looks to Josh and takes a breath, "We're good."

"How are you Eves," Ruby asks soberly.

"I'm alright. I'm coping," she laughs lightly.

"Are you?" Ruby asks again.

"As best as I can," Evie gives a tight-lipped smile. As much as she loves Josh, she doesn't feel like having this conversation in front of him.

"I've been thinking about you. Mom said she visited the house the other day," Ruby says.

"Yeah, she did. It was nice of her," Evie nods, looking at her feet.

Truthfully, she's felt kind of abandoned by Ruby. She is fully aware of what Evie has been going through and hasn't really shown any semblance of support. She hasn't called, hasn't visited. Seeing Lori, Ruby's mom the other day show up at the house was the most she's felt any support from someone other than Dave or Luke considering everything that's going on with John.

"Are you looking after yourself?" Ruby asks and Evie can't help but let a laugh slip out of her mouth.

"What does that even mean? Every time someone says that to me, I have no idea what they could be talking about," Evie says, getting snappy.

"I just mean with everything with your Dad and Lily's birthday coming up-," Ruby begins

"What does it matter? I don't mean to be rude, but If you really care maybe, you'd try contacting me on your own," Evie says.

"Eves, give her a break," Josh says which only pushes Evie further over the edge.

"Really?" Evie scoffs.

"Just leave please, I don't have the energy to have this conversation right now. Ruby if you care about me, you have my number and you know where I live. Don't hide behind your boyfriend because you know I'm annoyed at you," Evie says finally.

"Okay," Ruby shrugs, "If you want us to go, we'll go."

Ruby swiftly moves out of the shop and begins walking up the street, Josh follows slowly in her footsteps before turning to look back at Evie.