The Nightingale

Genre : Historical Fiction

Pages : 564

Published : Feb 3, 2015

Goodreads rating : 4.6

Trigger warning : War, loss of loved ones, loss of a child, abandonment, miscarrying, violence, gore, death, anti-semitism, talk of suicide, cancer, slavery, labor camps, sexual assault, rape and absue.

My personal rating : 5/5 stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My favorite quote from the book : "He loves a version of me that is incomplete. I always thought it was what I wanted : to be loved and admired. Now I think Perhaps I'd like to be known."

Description :

FRANCE, 1939

In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says good-bye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for the Front. She doesn't believe that the Nazis will invade France...but invade they do, in droves of marching soldiers, in caravans of trucks and tanks, in planes that fill the skies and drop bombs upon the innocent. When a German captain requisitions Vianne's home, she and her daughter must live with the enemy or lose everything. Without food or money or hope, as danger escalates all around them, she is forced to make one impossible choice after another to keep her family alive.

Vianne's sister, Isabelle, is a rebellious eighteen-year-old, searching for purpose with all the reckless passion of youth. While thousands of Parisians march into the unknown terrors of war, she meets Gaëtan, a partisan who believes the French can fight the Nazis from within France, and she falls in love as only the young can... completely. But when he betrays her, Isabelle joins the Resistance and never looks back, risking her life time and again to save others.

NON SPOILER SECTION

First thing first, how gorgeous is that cover! It's the most beautiful cover I've ever seen without a doubt. Maybe I'm biased because it's my favorite color lol

This book made me cry, like most world war books do. There's no way you won't be invested in the story because the characters are written so realistically and you can't help but fall in love with them. Since it's a ww2 story, you know it's not gonna be rainbows and sunshines, but I'm telling you... It's going to rip your heart out.

And even though it's a long book (kind of), I never got bored not even for a minute. You're going to fly through it, I promise you. I basically devoured it in like two days.

 I basically devoured it in like two days