A Monster Calls

Genre : Low fantasy/ YA

Pages : 215

Published : May 5, 2011

Goodreads rating : 4.3

Trigger warning : Nightmares, parent with terminal cancer, bullying

My personal rating : 5 stars!! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My favorite quote from the book : "Your mind will believe comforting lies while also knowing the painful truths that make those lies necessary. And your mind will punish you for believing both."

Description :

Conor has the same dream every night, ever since his mother first fell ill, ever since she started the treatments that don't quite seem to be working. But tonight is different. Tonight, when he wakes, there's a visitor at his window. It's ancient, elemental, a force of nature. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor. It wants the truth.

Patrick Ness takes the final idea of the late, award-winning writer Siobhan Dowd and weaves an extraordinary and heartbreaking tale of mischief, healing and above all, the courage it takes to survive.

NON-SPOILER SECTION

This is one of my favorite books of all time. When I first read it I didn't really expect to love it as much as I did, and I definitely did not think it was gonna make me cry. From the description and how short the book is, you might assume it's just a fantasy book that you read in a few hours and then forget about (at least that's what I thought) but it was so much more than that. And I recommend you to go in blind if you haven't been spoiled about the plot already, because it's gonna hit you so hard if you go into it not knowing anything other than what the description tells you. And also if you like illustrations in a book, you're going to love this one because the art work is not only beautiful but adds so much to the story.

I don't think I've ever been that stunned while reading a book. The reason it took me by surprise is because of how different my expectations were compared to what the book really is. It's not like I had low expectations of it (before I read a book I make sure it's the kind of story I would enjoy, so I never start reading a book if I don't expect to love it) but I just didn't think it was gonna be that emotional. I knew it was gonna be sad since the main character's mother was terminally ill, but I didn't think the book was gonna deal with that issue so deeply. That feeling of hopelessness you go through when your loved one is dying and you can't do anything about it.. that frustration and suppressed anger you feel.. it's all written so realistically and that's what hits you hard when you read this book. It's brutal.

 It's brutal