All the Light We Cannot See

Genre : Historical Fiction

Pages : 544

Published : May 6, 2014

Goodreads rating : 4.3

Trigger warning : Anti-semitism and Nazism, rape, murder, torture, bullying, war themes

My personal rating : 5/5 stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My favorite quote from the book : "Don't you want to be alive before you die?"

Description :

Marie-Laure lives in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where her father works. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure's reclusive great uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum's most valuable and dangerous jewel.

In a mining town in Germany, Werner Pfennig, an orphan, grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find that brings them news and stories from places they have never seen or imagined. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments and is enlisted to use his talent to track down the resistance. Deftly interweaving the lives of Marie-Laure and Werner, Doerr illuminates the ways, against all odds, people try to be good to one another.

NON-SPOILER SECTION

This is also one of my favorite books of all time. Actually, now that I think about it.. it's my favorite book of all time. If someone held a gun to my head and made me pick one favorite book (IK IK, every bookworm's worst nightmare) this is the book I would choose. And it's about world war 2 just like The Nightingale and The Book Thief. I don't even read historical fiction that much but these 3 books are amazing.

It has a pretty high rating (half of the ratings are 5 stars!) and it totally deserves it. Anthony Doerr's writing is so hauntingly beautiful it brings tears to my eyes. There were moments that I found myself crying without even realizing it. If you're the kind of reader who hates detailed writing.. then this might not be the book for you. But I personally love that kind of writing, so I never felt like the book dragged or went on for too long. It's a slow burn but it's absolutely worth it.

Here's an interesting backstory of how this book came to be. The author Anthony Doerr was traveling in a New York subway when he noticed a fellow traveler being overly upset when he was unable to get reception on his cell phone. I'm grateful to this random person for inspiring my favorite book lol, because this incident is what made the author reflect on the magic of radio and how amazing it is that we can hear the voice of someone many miles from us. Then he decided this would be the inspiration for his next book. He began with the idea of a boy trapped somewhere, listening to the voice of an unknown young girl reading to him over the radio. NEED I SAY MORE? IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THIS BOOK, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?