The Picture of Dorian Gray

Genre : Gothic horror novel

Pages : 288

Published : June 20, 1890

Goodreads rating : 4.1

Trigger warning : death, murder, suicide, and a ton of misogynistic comments

My personal rating : 5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My favorite quote from the book : “To define is to limit."

Description :

Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty.

In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind.

NON-SPOILER SECTION

This is one of my favorite classic books of all time! And it's also the oldest book I've ever read lol I can't believe it's been like more than a century since it's been written! It's such an enjoyable read. I'm pretty sure everyone has heard about this story since the adaptation is well known.. but let me describe it in one sentence if you don't know what it's about. It's basically about this young impressionable teen who wishes for eternal youth after seeing his portrait that's done by his friend, and his wish somehow comes true.

 It's basically about this young impressionable teen who wishes for eternal youth after seeing his portrait that's done by his friend, and his wish somehow comes true

The characters were so intriguing and the story was interesting as well. I loved the discussions in it about beauty and youth. I've said a lot of times before that I love reading about morally gray main characters, and Dorian Gray is a great example of that. Even his last name is gray (hehe sorry I can't help myself when it comes to making stupid jokes) But to be honest I'm not sure if we can consider him as a morally gray character.. since his bad side outweighs his good side for the most part.