Forgive me, Leonard Peacock

Genre : Fiction

Genre : Fiction

Pages : 304

Published : Aug 13, 2013

Goodreads rating : 3.9

Trigger warning : Suicidal thoughts and actions, antisemitism/nazis, depression, rape/sexual assault

My personal rating : 5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My favorite quote from the book : "I feel like I'm broken-like I don't fit together anymore. Like there's no more room for me in the world or something. Like I've overstayed my welcome here on Earth, and everyone's trying to give me hints about that constantly. Like I should just check out."

Description :

Today is Leonard Peacock's birthday. It is also the day he hides a gun in his backpack. Because today is the day he will kill his former best friend, and then himself, with his grandfather's P-38 pistol.

But first he must say good-bye to the four people who matter most to him: his Humphrey Bogart-obsessed next-door neighbor, Walt; his classmate, Baback, a violin virtuoso; Lauren, the Christian homeschooler he has a crush on; and Herr Silverman, who teaches the high school's class on the Holocaust. Speaking to each in turn, Leonard slowly reveals his secrets as the hours tick by and the moment of truth approaches.

NON-SPOILER SECTION

I think this book is so important. It deals with heavy topics that are hard to read about, but because Leonard is such a unique character you can't help but enjoy every single chapter. At least that was my experience with this book when I first read it two years or so ago.

Even though all the events in this book take place in one day (Leo's 18th birthday) we also get to find out things that happened in his past and what pushed him to come to the decision to end his former best friend's life and then take his own.

One thing I wanna mention is... I liked Leonard. Which is funny because literally everyone who read the book agreed he's an unlikable character and the author made him that way on purpose. But I actually liked him. What's wrong with me? Lol if you've read this book please assure me that I'm not the only one who liked him.

 What's wrong with me? Lol if you've read this book please assure me that I'm not the only one who liked him