The Dream Daughter

Genre : Science Fiction, Historical

Published : Oct 2018

Pages : 400

Goodreads rating : 4.2

My personal rating : 5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My favorite quote from the book : "There was something about the never-ending vastness of the sea and sky that usually gave me comfort, reminding me that in the enormity of the universe, my problems, no matter how painful, were very, very small."

Description :

When Caroline Sears receives the news that her unborn baby girl has a heart defect, she is devastated. It is 1970 and there seems to be little that can be done. But her brother-in-law, a physicist, tells her that perhaps there is. Hunter appeared in their lives just a few years before—and his appearance was as mysterious as his past. With no family, no friends, and a background shrouded in secrets, Hunter embraced the Sears family and never looked back.

Now, Hunter is telling her that something can be done about her baby's heart. Something that will shatter every preconceived notion that Caroline has. Something that will require a kind of strength and courage that Caroline never knew existed. Something that will mean a mind-bending leap of faith on Caroline's part.

And all for the love of her unborn child.

NON-SPOILER SECTION

So... This book involves time travel. Need I say more? Lol I just love reading about time travel. That was the main reason I was intrigued when I first heard about this book. And it did not disappoint. I loved the characters, the pacing, the writing style.. everything.

When I started reading it I expected nothing more than what the description promised. A story about a mother making sacrifices for her unborn daughter. I felt like I had already predicted the ending, but boy was I wrong! This book had plot twists I did not see coming at all.

Even if you're not a fan of time travel books, check this one out because it's not sci-fi heavy at all like you would expect when you hear about time travel

Even if you're not a fan of time travel books, check this one out because it's not sci-fi heavy at all like you would expect when you hear about time travel. It's more like a contemporary book honestly.

The author has a LOT of other books so I'll probably check them out when I have the time. If they're anything like this one I know I'll love them and Diane will become one of my favorite authors. Fingers crossed.

SPOILER SECTION

The scenes where she kept missing the portals because her baby had to stay in the hospital made me so anxious! I just desperately wanted her to go back to 1970 safely for the sake of everyone (especially her sister) I was so anxious for them all the way to the end of the book.

At first what I predicted would happen was her daughter would need to get treatment while growing up and it won't be available back in 1970 so she would need to live in 2001 so she can make sure her daughter will survive her heart condition and stay healthy. I really thought that would be the main conflict of the book. I was relieved when she got back because even tho her daughter was still in 2001 at least her sister would see she's okay and would be able to finally believe hunter was telling the truth about the whole time travel thing. Then the whole 2013 thing happened and I was very surprised.

I'm not a mom so I don't have the right to judge Carly on her decision to stay in 2013 just so she can be with her daughter. But I think if I was in her situation I'd pick my sister. Joanna had amazing adaptive parents that loved her as if she was their own, so she would do just fine without her biological mom. But her sister and Hunter.. they need her. She knows hunter would blame himself forever and Patti would hate him if Carly never came back. They would never know what happened to her or her daughter, they won't even know if she was alive or not. Or maybe hunter would sacrifice himself and use his fourth and final travel to go to 2001 to find out what happened to Carly. And then he would be stuck there alone. That's why I couldn't believe it when she chose to stay in 2013.

But thankfully I was satisfied with the ending and it's nice that she reunited with Joanna after all those years

And also, the fact that her husband came back alive was such a pleasant surprise!!!