Pretty Girls

Genre : Thriller, Mystery

Pages : 544

Published : Sep 29, 2015

Goodreads rating : 4.0

Trigger warning : Rape, murder, torture, sexual assault, suicide, very graphic scenes

My personal rating : 5/5 stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My favorite quote from the book : "She was so quiet, but she noticed everything. Her eyes tracked the world like it was a book written in a language she could not understand."

Description :

Twenty years ago Claire Scott's eldest sister, Julia, went missing. No one knew where she went - no note, no body. It was a mystery that was never solved and it tore her family apart.

Now another girl has disappeared, with chilling echoes of the past. And it seems that she might not be the only one.

Claire is convinced Julia's disappearance is linked.

But when she begins to learn the truth about her sister, she is confronted with a shocking discovery, and nothing will ever be the same...

NON-SPOILER SECTION

This book has trigger warnings for any awful thing you can think of so it's definitely not for everyone. If you can't handle reading gruesome stuff don't read it because it's not for the faint hearted.

How ironic is the author's last name!

I have this morbid curiousity when it comes to crime and murder

I have this morbid curiousity when it comes to crime and murder. I want to understand how sick and twisted people's minds work if you know what I mean. That's why I usually read true crime stories no matter how disturbing they are. So when I heard about this book I just had to check it out. Plus I've read the author's other crime books at that point and I was a fan so I didn't hesitate to give this one a chance.

The plot is connecting the stories of two young women who have gone missing decades apart- Julia Carroll and Anna Kilpatrick. Without giving too much away, the journey is told from the viewpoint of Julia's two remaining sisters- Lydia and Claire, while inserting occasional diary entries from their father, Sam Carroll.