Chapter 36

My bedroom door creaks open in the middle of the night and I turn over groggily. I feel my heart pound when I see a black figure walk over towards my bed, and Cortez lays over me protectivly. I stay perfecrly still, affraid to move an inch.

"Addy?"

I'm surprized to hear Cece's voice.

I shift a tint bit now, clearing my throat. "Hmm?"

"Can I sleep with you?"

I look down, then scoot over in my double bed to make space. It was a long day today, having met up with Jonah to take Cortez for a long walk and to catch up.

"Addy?"

"Hmm?" I hum again ajusting my pillow, closing my eyes to relieve the sting.

"I'm sorry for being a bitch to you." She says, voice taught like wire. "I'm sorry I was mean and that I helped Jennifer hurt you and that we don't do all the fun stuff we used to."

I open my eyes again and study my sister; her blond hair spilled on the extra pillow and her dark brown eyes shimering with unfallen tears.

"It's okay."

"And I'm sorry that I hit you before. I should have never hit you."

"Cece, I know that was because your meds." I get Cortez to crawl up between us so that Cece can pet him too. "It was a side effect."

"It was still wrong." Her tears slip out, and I feel conflicting emotions stirring inside.

Jack's the only one who hurt me who apologized for it, and he never did it physically, and he never intentionally wanted to. Kyle never apologized, Jennifer never apologized, but now Cece is.

I was never told by any one them that they felt sorry for doing what they did. They never acknowleged that what they did was wrong. It was "normal." For a long time I thought that that's just how people were going to be.

"Why are you just apologizing now?" I wonder. My words aren't harsh. Just asking the question simply.

"Because." She sniffles. "I missed you. When I tried to kill myself, I thought no one cared anymore, but then you visited me in the hospital. I thought you hated me. I didn't blame you either."

"Ce, I never hated you. I just couldn't handle you anymore." I answer wiping the tears from her face with the edge of my comforter. "Maybe it was wrong and selfish, but I couldn't deal with you. I couldn't do it anymore."

"It wasn't wrong." She replies. "I woulda walked away from me too. I know how mean I was being."

I sigh and melt down into my pillow, petting Cortez. "I accept your apology. Now you gotta get some sleep okay?"

She nods, taking a deep, shakey breath. I don't know how to comfort her besides lay here with her.

In the morning, she gets up after I do and joins me in the kitchen as I put something together. I'm not really hungry, but I've got Jack on a call and needed something to do. Mum went to get groceries, so I'm here watching Cece alone.

"Hey."

She just walks straight up to me and hugs me tightly.

"Oh... uh... okay..." I hug her slowly, my gaze flickering between Jack to my little sister. "Um... do you wanna say hi to Jack?"

She nods and looks over, not letting go. "Hi Jack."

"Hey... how are you doing?"

"Better." She answers. "You?"

"I'm doing good." He smile brightly back. "Maybe when I get back you can come visit us."

She nods, liking that plan.